•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nebulosity vs. Nina

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jerr

jerr

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Czarny Las, Poland

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:43 AM

I’ve been loyal user of Nebulosity for a decade or so. Looking through the forum there is a little discussion about Nebu and a lot about Nina. I’d love to learn about experience of those that used both helping me to decide if there is a reason to change. 

#2 PAdennis812

PAdennis812

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Pennsylvania

Posted 28 February 2021 - 01:55 PM

Just caught your post.  I use both.  NINA is absolutely terrific.  Visually it's stunning with excellent equipment connection and control.  The flat wizard, plate solving, and image sequencing are superb.  Been using it for 2 years now.

I am a long time user of Neb4 as well though I'm often thinking of finally buying PI.

I have never used Neb4 for image capture.  I use Backyard EOS for my DSLR and NINA for my CMOS.

Here's a few images from the other night shooting M37.  Moon was 98% full.  My image of M37 was taken with LRGB, No calibration frames, and only for 20 minutes.  Processed in Neb4 and Siril.  First is a photo of my laptop screen.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1594.JPG
  • M37 Final 2.jpg

• jerr likes this

#3 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Vendor - Rockchuck Summit Observatory

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:23 PM

No reason to change if you haven't found a reason yourself.  I love NINA but this is a hobby and you use software you like and no one should have a problem with that :)

#4 moonrider

moonrider

Viking 1

• Loc: Murphy, NC

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:02 PM

I started with Nebulosity 4 years ago, a year ago tried N.I.N.A. Now I like Nebulosity but N.I.N.A. Is awesome software especially for automation and remote use. Funny , now I just use Neb for occasional focusing or to look at subs.  

• jerr likes this

#5 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:07 PM

They are kind of different. NINA excels at automating your imaging acquisition process while Neb was/is more of a start-to-finish interactive tool. If you find yourself wishing that you could get some sleep while your rig reliably does the work (or you would prefer that the computer handle more of the details so you don't forget) then look into NINA. On the other hand, I do wish more people would get experience with software like Nebulosity before jumping into automation - it would help them understand what they're trying to do.

• jerr, moonrider and Umasscrew39 like this

#6 moonrider

moonrider

Viking 1

• Loc: Murphy, NC

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:26 PM

They are kind of different. NINA excels at automating your imaging acquisition process while Neb was/is more of a start-to-finish interactive tool. If you find yourself wishing that you could get some sleep while your rig reliably does the work (or you would prefer that the computer handle more of the details so you don't forget) then look into NINA. On the other hand, I do wish more people would get experience with software like Nebulosity before jumping into automation - it would help them understand what they're trying to do.

Great post. A very good point to made here is Nebulosity is rather simple to work with and learn. That's why I chose it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics