•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best eyepieces with DayStar filters

Solar Observing Eyepieces Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Spot On

Spot On

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:44 PM

So it sounds like the best eyepiece option for solar is a binoviewer with a couple of zoom eyepieces, but barring that...

What is the best eyepiece type to use with a DayStar filter?

I have a bunch of TeleVue Plossl eyepieces that are pretty good with my Lunt setup, but not so satisfactory with the DayStar setup.  It seems like with the DayStar the eye relief is really restricted, and details are not as sharp as I'd like.

The most stunning combo I've seen so far was a Brandon 9mm on AP92 "Stowaway" with a Quark Chromosphere.  Prominences had smooth, sharp detail comparable to during an eclipse!  Surface detail was also good.  Presumably prominences were good in due to the f/6.65 focal ratio.

Clear skies

Scott

PS. fingers crossed that the latest pore will grow into a lovely spot, it looked like it had some loops on it today!

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:49 PM

Heya,

Your most stunning view was more probably related to excellent seeing conditions in that moment, rather than the actual objective lens and eyepieces.

The best eyepiece will most probably be the most simple, a plossl, such as a Televue 25mm or 32mm, so that magnification is low and not demanding on significantly better seeing conditions to maintain a less blurred image.

Very best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar, Observing, Eyepieces, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics