•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bushnell Voyager 8inch Dobsonian. Thoughts?

Dob Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 markbowman

markbowman

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Goleta, CA

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:05 PM

Hi,
I've been looking for a used dobsonian. I've found one for sale on Graigs List for $350 but I can't find any decent reviews or much discussion at all. It is a Bushnell Voyager 8inch Dobsonian. It appears to be in good condition with a single eyepiece.
Does anyone have experience of this telescope? Is it comparable quality to telescopes such as the Orion Skyline? What do you think of the suggested price?
Thank you in advance for your help,
Mark.

#2 CarolinaBanker

CarolinaBanker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern North Carolina

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:27 PM

Seems like a bit expensive considering a new Orion XT8 is 450. Apparently they have large secondary mirrors.

#3 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:37 PM

Hi,
I've been looking for a used dobsonian. I've found one for sale on Graigs List for $350 but I can't find any decent reviews or much discussion at all. It is a Bushnell Voyager 8inch Dobsonian. It appears to be in good condition with a single eyepiece.
Does anyone have experience of this telescope? Is it comparable quality to telescopes such as the Orion Skyline? What do you think of the suggested price?
Thank you in advance for your help,
Mark.

Hello Mark,

I am unfamiliar with the Bushnell line of Dobs but was able to find a few reviews on CN and here and there by Googling "Bushnell Voyager Dobsonian reviews" 

In a nut shell  from the reviews I read these scopes are not well thought of, probably because they are on the cheaper end of the spectrum and are currently out of production. If it were me I would pass on it unless you can aquire it real cheap, like near free and at that, the Bushnell Voyager may still not be worth the trouble.  They have  problems, some of the issues can be fixed, some can not.The Orion skyline Dobs are very nice I have a Orion skyline 12 and enjoy it. A good new 8" Dob is not that much more than the asking price of that questionable used Dob.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP JETHRO

Edited by Jethro7, 28 February 2021 - 06:50 PM.

• spaceoddity and sevenofnine like this

#4 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:58 PM

+1 On Jethro7. After purchase customer service is very important. Go with Orion or Sky Watcher. Their C/S to the original buyer is great. Saving a few bucks on a "deal" can lead to a headache in the future...Good luck with your choice! hmm.gif

• Jethro7 likes this

#5 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:01 PM

Yeah this is a tough one. $350 is definitely too high but an 8" dob in good condition is a great scope that definitely has some value. Not too much info to be found, but it looks like these were produced for a short time in the mid 2000's so about 15 years old. It's most likely going to be a project or at least need some tweaks or parts upgrades. If the mirrors are still in good shape, I'd probably offer $100. 

#6 markbowman

markbowman

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Goleta, CA

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:37 PM

Thank you all for the sound advice - what a great community this is!

In summary, it looks like the particular telescope is probably fun as a project but is unlikely to be a winner out of the box. As such, $350 is way too much money.

Theoretically, I should be able to buy a new 6 inch for this amount or an 8 inch for another hundred, but, in reality, prices and availability of new dobsonians have gone a little crazy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dob, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics