•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starnet++ Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rockinrod

Rockinrod

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:04 AM

Good Morning to All,

I just downloaded Starnet++ to help shrink or eliminate my stars. This is what happened...

First of all, I use Windows 10, and am running PC Matic on it...I also use APP for my initial stretching, etc, and saved these as a stretched 16-Bit file, as per the Starnet Readme File, this is required.

I downloaded the Starnet Zip folder, then I unzipped it to the Starnet folder, which holds all the Application and exe. files etc...Then I dragged one of my stretched 16-Bit images into that Starnet folder and a file compression dialog box opens (see attached photo) compressing my large TIFF file. Then I dragged my image over the, "rgb_starnet_app. folder....I'm assuming this is where my image should have opened or whatever.

Nothing happens, once it did open for a split second with what appeared to be a DOS window, then it quickly closed out.

That's about it...I tried using different file names, making them short, tried different images, nothing works...

Appreciate any tips, if you've had similar issues. I was able to get the thing started in DOS, got this box then it closed. What does this tell me?

Thanks,

Rod

Attached Thumbnails

• Starnet-Compressing File.jpg
  • Checkpoint.jpg

Edited by Rockinrod, 01 March 2021 - 10:22 AM.

#2 Rockinrod

Rockinrod

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:57 AM

Okay, no nibbles yet...Anyway, I stumbled into the problem, and corrected it.

Whoever else has had this issue I hope this helps...

This App does not work if you drag your image into the Starnet++ folder...!! It has to be a copy and paster action. And this also solves the Compression dialog box from opening as well....Once the file is in the main Starnet folder, then you can drag it to the, "rgb_starnet++exe folder, and then it will open and remove the stars...

Once completed and the DOS window closes, then open the, "Starless.tiff file which it leaves...This will be your starless image...

Thanks,

Rod

Attached Thumbnails

• In Progress.jpg

#3 MHamburg

MHamburg

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:08 PM

I had to find the same sequence as you the hard way.

Michael

#4 Serial

Serial

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:47 AM

Same problems for me.  After much hair pulling, here's what I've found. 

1. Flatten your image before exporting your Tiff in PS or Gimp or whatever. 
  2. When you export as Tiff, don't save layers.
  3. Your Tiff needs to be saved in the same folder as Starnett++.  Don't try dragging it over from another folder. 

This did the trick for me. 

#5 Serial

Serial

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2021 - 10:02 AM

Now I'm having so much trouble with Starnet++, even after following my own advice above.  When I drag my Tif onto rgb_starnet++exe, the Command Prompt opens for a second and then shuts down.  That's it.  Can someone else try removing stars from this file and tell me what I'm doing wrong? 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#6 Serial

Serial

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2021 - 10:05 AM

Nevermind!  I just found that my file was 32 bits.  When I changed it to 16 it worked like a champ.  ...sooo many ways to screw this up...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics