•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GSO 10 inches [254/1000] f3,9 for visual worth my time and money?

Dob
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lemarr7

lemarr7

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:14 AM

As i said in topic GSO 10 inches [254/1000] f3,9 with homemade dobson for visual. I heard that scope need good eyepieces and perfect colimation. What else should i know before buying?

#2 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Messenger

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:24 AM

Well, it's big. And it's heavy. Also, you didn't state how much money so it's kind of hard to give an opinion.

#3 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:34 AM

Also doesn't say where they are and in some parts of the world scopes are expensive and harder to come by.

#4 Tangerman

Tangerman

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:38 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that GSO made f3.9 scopes for astrophotography. That just means you'd need an extension tube to get eyepieces to focus properly. The GSO f4.9 10 inch scopes, whatever the rebrand, are probably going to be easier to use and a bit better for visual, with a smaller secondary mirror.

• paul hart, David Castillo, spaceoddity and 1 other like this

#5 lemarr7

lemarr7

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:48 AM

Price is 470 usd . I live in Poland. Scope is near me [50 km]. This is advantage . Usually 10 inch scope is 250 -350 km from me. Price this scope its  a little more than my monthly earnings , so its much for me. Thanks for posts.

#6 lemarr7

lemarr7

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:59 AM

Extension tube 35mm is included. Secondary mirror is bigger?  How much bigger compared GSO 10 f4,9?

#7 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Messenger

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:01 PM

I wish I could be more help. It sounds like it's pretty hard to acquire a telescope where you are. Hopefully someone can chime in on how that OTA will do for visual observing with the extension. I have no experience with a scope that fast.

Edited by DouglasPaul, 01 March 2021 - 01:02 PM.

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:20 PM

At F4 a coma corrector is pretty much required. At F5, some people insist on coma corrector and some don’t bother. Has a lot to do with what eyepieces they use.

F4 newts are really intended for imaging. You can use them for visual. I have an 8” F4 that I use for visual. The secondary ends up being a bit bigger, but about the same size or maybe slightly smaller than a SCT so really not a huge deal for visual. It just won’t be a planet killer. Like most SCT.

The real issue is the collimation, coma and need for very good eyepieces to get good views at F4. Especially if you want wide angle eyepieces.

Scott
  • Jon Isaacs, dmgriff and MellonLake like this

#9 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Vendor - Gondwana Telescopes

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:42 PM

Lemarr7,

I actually have TWO 8" f/4 Newts.  One is a solid tube that I made a dob mount for, and I can remove the OTA from the dob mount and use it on an equatorial mount.  The other is a truss style scope that is also on a dob mount, and the whole thing packs down into a small case, which is the mount itself.

Don't be too concerned about the larger secondary that f/4 scopes have compared to and f/5.  As Scott said, it is not a big deal for visual.  If the mirror though is a good one, it can still do a good job with the planets - some of the most satisfying views I've had of Jupiter and Saturn have come with these scopes.

I won't double up on what Scott said.  I will add do not be concerned about collimating these scopes.  I find the process no different from doing this with my other Newtonians of f/4.5 and f/5, and the process takes me only 2 minutes - it is only minor tweaks that ever needs to happen.  "Collimation" is only the term used to align the mirrors, nothing more.  It is not difficult.  You check it when you have finished setting up and you will then know that your scope will be performing at its very best for you.

A 10" f4 scope is a great visual instrument.  Not too heavy so should not have a problem taking it to and from an apartment if that is where you live.  It will serve you very well for many years :)

Alex.

Attached Thumbnails

• F4.JPG
  • K1 completed (74).JPG

• Tangerman likes this

#10 Tank

Tank

Skylab

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:59 PM

Love the F4s you get WF and aperture
I would recommend a laser collimator

#11 lemarr7

lemarr7

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:29 PM

Love the F4s you get WF and aperture
I would recommend a laser collimator

I havent  bougth it yet. I dont have good eyepieces for this f4 scope .Only kellner 25mm and 10mm, plossl 6mm , erfle 42mm 2 inches but that eyepiece give me in this telescope exit pipil 10-11mm! What should i do? I dont have much money for expensive eyepieces.I wont see anything because of the cheap eyepieces?

#12 CowTipton

CowTipton

Vostok 1

• Loc: NW Chicago Suburbs

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:20 PM

For a beginner I would recommend a slower scope.

#13 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:08 PM

Basically you will be able to see stuff in the middle but the edges will be messy. Have you watched Star Wars or Star Trek? Remember how the stars especially around the edge get stretched when they jump to warp speed? That’s sort of how stuff would look through the scope. Especially without a coma corrector.

You would also need a collimation tool of some sort.

If you are happy with 50-60 AFOV the eyepieces don’t have to cost a fortune. The real issues arise if you want 70, 80, 100, 110 AFOV. That’s when it gets expensive. Still most of your current set will struggle at F4. Although they are narrow so might not be too bad. But I would consider a collimation tool an absolute must right away, and a coma corrector sooner rather than later.

Scott

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics