•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Coma corrector questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xanadu30

xanadu30

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oshkosh, WI

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:17 AM

Hello all, I recently purchased an Orion 6" Newtonian Astrograph, and see that in order to take descent images I am in need of a coma corrector.  I understand how and why coma correctors work, but am confused as to how / where I add this piece of equipment to my imaging train.  Currently I have a DSLR with a T ring and 1.25" adapter going into a 2" to 1.25" adapter into my 2" focuser.  In order to incorporate a coma corrector, where does this fit into my imaging train?   

#2 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:30 AM

Presumably you will have a 2" coma corrector...  So it is Orion 6" > coma corrector > T-ring > camera ---- assuming the coma corrector will accept a "T" connection.

The       coma corrector > T-ring > camera       assembly gets dropped into the focuser.

Many coma correctors include a T-connection.  Here in photo the Astro-Tech coma corrector includes a 48mm to T adapter pictured at the lower right.  In this case the chain is something like:

coma corrector lens > 48mm to T adapter > T-ring > camera

AT coma.jpg .

Edited by ngc7319_20, 02 March 2021 - 01:36 AM.

#3 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:03 PM

Coma correctors are designed to have a specific distance between the corrector and your imaging chip. This distance is almost always 55mm. The T adapter for your camera will position the imaging chip 55mm from the front flange of the adapter. This should mate perfectly with the coma corrector.

• ngc7319_20 likes this

#4 xanadu30

xanadu30

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oshkosh, WI

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:01 PM

Presumably you will have a 2" coma corrector...  So it is Orion 6" > coma corrector > T-ring > camera ---- assuming the coma corrector will accept a "T" connection.

The       coma corrector > T-ring > camera       assembly gets dropped into the focuser.

Many coma correctors include a T-connection.  Here in photo the Astro-Tech coma corrector includes a 48mm to T adapter pictured at the lower right.  In this case the chain is something like:

coma corrector lens > 48mm to T adapter > T-ring > camera

attachicon.gifAT coma.jpg.

Thanks.  So, the large piece of the three shown above is not used?  Is this for eyepiece use?

#5 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:42 AM

Thanks.  So, the large piece of the three shown above is not used?  Is this for eyepiece use?

Correct --  the large piece that says "Astro Tech" with thumbscrews is not used for imaging.  It is only to hold 2" eyepieces in visual mode.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics