•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarSense Explorer DX 102 mount stiffness

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Kawa

Barry Kawa

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:22 AM

I took the bait and bought a Celestron StarSense Explorer DX 102 AZ off Amazon.Japan, I'm hopeful that I will now be able to see some deep-sky objects from my heavily polluted backyard. However, upon assembly, I found the same problem I read about in a review of the scope, which is that I can barely move the OTA in altitude because of the tightness of the mount in that axis. I can move the OTA with some force and it moves sluggishly with the slow-motion control rod. Naturally, it has been cloudy and rained since I've gotten the scope, so I haven't tried it out under the stars. But is the mount made that way to operate with the StarSense app so it's more accurate or something? Or something that is easy to fix by taking the mount apart and making an adjustment? 

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:10 AM

Sounds like the clutch is tight. Is it still hard to move with clutch released?

#3 Barry Kawa

Barry Kawa

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:33 AM

There's no clutch on this cheapish mount or any kind of locking mechanism, like on many alt-azimuth mounts. It's just friction based, I guess. 

#4 CuriousSubstance3

CuriousSubstance3

Sputnik

• Loc: Western Massachusetts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:14 PM

I have this telescope and sometimes, not always, it slips when I turn the alt knob to lower the optical tube. I notice it with heavier eyepieces and I have not seen a fix for this.

For the time being, I repositioned/rebalanced the tube back on the mount so the alt control knob is moving less weight. I still have to help the Alt control by gently pushing the tube down with a finger as I turn the knob sometimes despite these adjustments.

Unrelated to this issue, I frequently tighten the knob cable attachments with the little Allen wrench on the mount itself to diminish lose play.

Ultimately, I am very happy with this beginner telescope though I wish there was a way to adjust the Alt friction or an upgraded mount. I'd pay for that.

• Barry Kawa likes this

#5 warddl

warddl

Lift Off

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 15 March 2021 - 09:49 AM

Barry, I noticed your Twitter comment about the StarSense Explorer DX 102 and am glad you are enjoying the scope.  Were you able to fix the altitude tension issue yet? 

I really like the concept of being able to pair a scope with my own smartphone to locate objects.  Just wish it were available in a format where we could use our higher end optics, like a TeleVue 85.  I read that it will "soon" be available with a C5 or C6 SCT, but can't find confirmation.

These may well become a new standard for beginner scopes. Does anyone know whether the other Explorer DX models have a similar problem with the altitude?  

Dan

Edited by warddl, 15 March 2021 - 11:27 AM.

#6 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rural Kent, UK

Posted 15 March 2021 - 12:36 PM

Looks like Celestron are now offering the 6 inch SCT with Starsense Explorer:
https://www.celestro...grain-telescope

Let's hope they start doing more models. It would be especially good if they started doing Dobs - they could then really steal a march on the competition.
  • warddl likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics