•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Luminance imaging Nebulas

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Reece

Reece

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:15 AM

If I was content with black and white images, could nebulas be imaged exclusively via monochrome camera Luminance subs? Would this be an improvement on h-alpha assuming there was little light pollution since I would be using all photons that reach the sensor?

Thank you so much for your help!

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:24 AM

You would get different results. In general, I've found that (for most Ha-rich nebulae) the Ha is highly detailed and interesting. Adding more data from other bandwidths undifferentiated by color is more likely to muddle than enhance. All, of course, IMO. 

Also, with Lum, you would have much bigger stars, as these emit in broadband. 

You could easily emulate the result of Lum and get rid of some LP in the process by using something like a L-Enhance filter with the mono camera. That would give you an idea of what Lum would produce, without the big stars.

• Reece likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics