•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

UC-22 - Come if you can and judge for yourself at the April CalStar

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 a__l

a__l

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:27 PM

Stellarcat with Agro Navis in another Obsession did not work right.

I gave friend my Sky Commander a long time ago.
Argo worked well on my 24" telescope with ServoCat. Need to put hands on this. I currently have a Nexus DSC. It works well with all of my 3 dobs. On all ServoCats. The Nexus DSC advantage is a separate lithium battery. I use a large lead acid battery for the motors. There are no ferrite filters.

Edited by a__l, 07 March 2021 - 03:29 PM.

#27 a__l

a__l

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:00 PM

And I will add more. I did not like the work of the optical 40,000 US Digital Encoders. They turned out to be capricious. I put them in a box and went back to 10,000 on all my telescopes.

#28 jim molinari

jim molinari

Vostok 1

• Loc: California

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:17 PM

I bought my UC 22 with Servocat Drive and Argo Navis in 2015. I have used it extensively ( approximately 30 nights per year). I always transport/move it using wheel barrow handles and ramps as the mirror/virtual mirror box are quite heavy for my 78 year old body. And, it is extremely difficult for one person to install the altitude drive cable if the vmb is removed because of the weight. So, the rocker box and vmb are always kept together. I can clean the mirror (without removal) in the vmb/rocker box using carboard covered with a plastic garbage bag to cover the electronics and using supports under the wheelbarrow handles to create enough slope for the distilled water to easily run off. The telescope did require some tweaks ... Markless cable stop for the altitude drive cable (prevents loosening the drive cable too much), guides to minimize the vmb movement on the teflon bearings caused by the torque of the altitude drive motor (the movement was about 1/8" at the extremities without the guides), installed oblong (Glatter) mirror cell guides to prevent mirror sideways movement during transport/other, and wired/mounted a Lithium battery outlet/connection in the rocker box instead of using the powered ground board. The additional guides were installed only to help with the accuracy of "Go To" and not to keep the vmb/other from sliding off the rocker box. I haven't had any problems with the altitude drive cable coming off. Even though the structure is lacks the rigidity of the classic design and the altitude encoder requires more work to get centered in its virtual location (I leave the bracket installed during transport), the collimation holds well from the zenith to low altitudes and "go to" / tracking work well. After initial alignment with the Argo Navis (Nexus now), I do a 7 to 10 star TPAS (MPoint now} routine which takes about 25 minutes. A "GoTo" places objects across the sky in the field of my 17mm Ethos. I need 2 steps up a ladder for objects near the zenith. I feel the optics are excellent and views are impressive. Overall, am very pleased with the telescope. My only problem with it will be my advancing age and ability to move and use a 22" telescope.

• George N, turtle86, a__l and 4 others like this

#29 a__l

a__l

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 19 March 2021 - 07:24 AM

I recommend an elastic band to place the cable properly in the slot. A photo.

I do not recommend MPoint. Use synchronization for viewed objects. There may be 256 points across the sky. This will make your GoTo much more accurate. And will save a lot of time (only need 2 stars). 

Attached Thumbnails

• rubber_r.jpg

#30 jim molinari

jim molinari

Vostok 1

Posted 19 March 2021 - 12:20 PM

I recommend an elastic band to place the cable properly in the slot. A photo.

I do not recommend MPoint. Use synchronization for viewed objects. There may be 256 points across the sky. This will make your GoTo much more accurate. And will save a lot of time (only need 2 stars). 

Yes. Thanks. Whatever works best for you.

Nexus DSC/DSC Pro supports two methods of improving pointing accuracy that compensate for those imperfections: Sync objects and MPoint.

DSC/DSC Pro limits the number of sync objects to 128. The size of the area is limited to 10º radius. If there are more than one sync objects in the area then corrections from the closest sync objects are used. However, every telescope has some kind of  imperfections such as: fabrication errors, mechanical and optical axes not perpendicular, flexure, encoder centering, etc. MPoint can compensate for  many of these errors.

#31 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Apollo

• Loc: Central Coast California

Posted 19 March 2021 - 04:35 PM

Hi Jim,

I have had very good GoTo and tracking performance with ServoCat and Argo Navis, and currently Nexus, on my past 16" JP Astrocraft Dob and now with my 20" JP Astrocraft Dob.  Orthogonality (squareness between all 3 mount axes) of the rocker and mirror boxes along with good optical alignment is key to getting good to great mechanical telescope performance.  I have owned many Starmaster's using Sky Commander since 1995 and now with my JP Astrocraft Dobs.  The Starmaster's boxes were not as square and had more play versus my higher-quality JPA's and so gave more GoTo error as seen at the eyepiece.  Had nothing to do with encoder tick count, just lower accuracy and strength telescope build. My current JPA's are built with better precision, more structural strength, and have a better mirror cell and secondary structure so the telescope's GoTo and tracking are better.  Everything is cumulative with telescopes, both optically and mechanically. Additionally, how one does their star alignment procedure has plenty to do with GoTo accuracy. I do my two-star align with the Nexus DSC's at 300X using a 4mm 60° eyepiece.  As I center the two stars in the eyepiece, I fully de-focus them until the star's large pale image fits exactly to the edge of the eyepiece fov.  This quick routine ensures exact centering of the star as you tell the DSC that it is and this produces GoTo's that place the target object between dead center and no more than 15 arc-minutes off center. I can GoTo at 250X around the sky with the object still within the fov. That's with only a two-star alignment (Polaris and second primary star).

I bought my UC 22 with Servocat Drive and Argo Navis in 2015. I have used it extensively ( approximately 30 nights per year). I always transport/move it using wheel barrow handles and ramps as the mirror/virtual mirror box are quite heavy for my 78 year old body. And, it is extremely difficult for one person to install the altitude drive cable if the vmb is removed because of the weight. So, the rocker box and vmb are always kept together. I can clean the mirror (without removal) in the vmb/rocker box using carboard covered with a plastic garbage bag to cover the electronics and using supports under the wheelbarrow handles to create enough slope for the distilled water to easily run off. The telescope did require some tweaks ... Markless cable stop for the altitude drive cable (prevents loosening the drive cable too much), guides to minimize the vmb movement on the teflon bearings caused by the torque of the altitude drive motor (the movement was about 1/8" at the extremities without the guides), installed oblong (Glatter) mirror cell guides to prevent mirror sideways movement during transport/other, and wired/mounted a Lithium battery outlet/connection in the rocker box instead of using the powered ground board. The additional guides were installed only to help with the accuracy of "Go To" and not to keep the vmb/other from sliding off the rocker box. I haven't had any problems with the altitude drive cable coming off. Even though the structure is lacks the rigidity of the classic design and the altitude encoder requires more work to get centered in its virtual location (I leave the bracket installed during transport), the collimation holds well from the zenith to low altitudes and "go to" / tracking work well. After initial alignment with the Argo Navis (Nexus now), I do a 7 to 10 star TPAS (MPoint now} routine which takes about 25 minutes. A "GoTo" places objects across the sky in the field of my 17mm Ethos. I need 2 steps up a ladder for objects near the zenith. I feel the optics are excellent and views are impressive. Overall, am very pleased with the telescope. My only problem with it will be my advancing age and ability to move and use a 22" telescope.

• Aperturefever and Tyson M like this

#32 jim molinari

jim molinari

Vostok 1

Posted 19 March 2021 - 05:19 PM

Hi Jim,

I have had very good GoTo and tracking performance with ServoCat and Argo Navis, and currently Nexus, on my past 16" JP Astrocraft Dob and now with my 20" JP Astrocraft Dob.  Orthogonality (squareness between all 3 mount axes) of the rocker and mirror boxes along with good optical alignment is key to getting good to great mechanical telescope performance.  I have owned many Starmaster's using Sky Commander since 1995 and now with my JP Astrocraft Dobs.  The Starmaster's boxes were not as square and had more play versus my higher-quality JPA's and so gave more GoTo error as seen at the eyepiece.  Had nothing to do with encoder tick count, just lower accuracy and strength telescope build. My current JPA's are built with better precision, more structural strength, and have a better mirror cell and secondary structure so the telescope's GoTo and tracking are better.  Everything is cumulative with telescopes, both optically and mechanically. Additionally, how one does their star alignment procedure has plenty to do with GoTo accuracy. I do my two-star align with the Nexus DSC's at 300X using a 4mm 60° eyepiece.  As I center the two stars in the eyepiece, I fully de-focus them until the star's large pale image fits exactly to the edge of the eyepiece fov.  This quick routine ensures exact centering of the star as you tell the DSC that it is and this produces GoTo's that place the target object between dead center and no more than 15 arc-minutes off center. I can GoTo at 250X around the sky with the object still within the fov. That's with only a two-star alignment (Polaris and second primary star).

Hi Peter ...

I appreciate your input. Yes, JP Astrocraft, and some other "high-end" structures, are built with better precision, more structural strength, a better mirror cell, and secondary structure than the Obsession UC 22. Some even come with a offset secondary. My previously owned  EQ Platforms Spica Eyes 20 also had a superior structure with excellent tracking and GoTo with just a 2 star alignment. So, the structure makes a noticeable, possibly significant, performance difference. That being said, the Obsession UC 22 cost me far less and is overall lighter (although the mirror is heavy at 2" thick and 59 lbs,) enabling me to easily use and transport it using wheelbarrow handles/ramps. And, the optics/views are excellent. It is shakier at low altitudes than my Spica Eyes and, I'm sure, your JP Astroccaft. Fortunately, even with the drawbacks in the structure, with a few "mods", careful alignment technique, and MPoint or TPAS applied the telescope is a very good overall performer. Observing with it has been a very enjoyable experience and it's nice to be able to still easily use a 22" telescope "singlehanded" at my age. Thanks!

• George N likes this

#33 a__l

a__l

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 19 March 2021 - 06:13 PM

Yes. Thanks. Whatever works best for you.

Nexus DSC/DSC Pro supports two methods of improving pointing accuracy that compensate for those imperfections: Sync objects and MPoint.

DSC/DSC Pro limits the number of sync objects to 128. The size of the area is limited to 10º radius. If there are more than one sync objects in the area then corrections from the closest sync objects are used. However, every telescope has some kind of  imperfections such as: fabrication errors, mechanical and optical axes not perpendicular, flexure, encoder centering, etc. MPoint can compensate for  many of these errors.

Gary (Argo) gives a TPAS recommendation of ~ 50 stars. I've experimented a lot with this. 7 stars is not enough, there will be random models with different stars. Therefore, synchronization is better. You can synchronize on a bright object, and then switch to a faint one within a few degrees and be sure that it is in the center. I remembered 128 or 256 points from my memory without checking the instruction. That's a lot anyway.

#34 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:21 AM

As the OP I have refrained from posting. There are many great posts!

However reading some of the messages is like,  "What were you expecting Jeff?"

The UC-22, as I have used it is not what I would have expected. That should be clear.

As some said, do all of you expect to have fix a scope as delivered new? Do you expect that of your car? Your appliances? Your computer (if bought as a system)? Integrators have a responsibility. As the man said above, integrations are supposed to work. 

I could not find:  "Be aware, if you pay the $3000 for the drive, installed by the factory(!) the cable may come off if we don't assemble/align the integrated items correctly or if the structure flexes. But if that happens, well you are on your own. We never claimed it worked. 

I could not find: "If the cable does come off, most people will need to remove mirror from the VMB and have a helper work to keep the cable on the bearing while you put the VMB back on the rocker. And if the cable is jammed, it may get kinked or tear the teflon™. You may have wait until daylight if this happens in the dark. 

Where is the: "This design is a compromise. Buy at your own risk."

Well of course it is not there! wink.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

I simply do not understand at this price point (or even 1/2 that) why I should accept anything less than a working telescope out of the box(es) as shown/claimed by the vendor? Or no support from the vendor when it all went wrong. If your new car has a problem with the AC compressor, is it okay for the car maker to say, "Sorry, contact the maker of the compressor."?

As for CalStar... I am sorry my wife has been diagnosed with the C word and I need to stay with her. I'll try and make the Fall CalStar .

Hope you all understand how disappointing and madden this purchase was. And that my experience is worth conveying. It's still a 22 inch scope with a great mirror, so I guess I will make lemonade from lemons. Clear skies.

PS: I don't think I've run afoul.. 

Edited by gdjsky01, 31 March 2021 - 01:39 AM.

• Darren Drake, Bill Jensen, turtle86 and 3 others like this

#35 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:06 PM

I simply do not understand at this price point (or even 1/2 that) why I should accept anything less than a working telescope out of the box(es) as shown/claimed by the vendor? Or no support from the vendor when it all went wrong. If your new car has a problem with the AC compressor, is it okay for the car maker to say, "Sorry, contact the maker of the compressor."?

Totally agree.  You didn't later buy the tracking separately as an add-on, but bought everything together as a package from the vendor. It should really be on the vendor to make it right.

• Bill Jensen, peleuba, gdjsky01 and 1 other like this

#36 Feidb

Feidb

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:39 PM

I've been saying this for years about scopes. Not just these smaller batch high end dobs, but even the production scopes "everyone" gets like the SCTs. You pay thousands upon thousands for these machines and for the most part, have no expectations that they'll work right out of the box. From the electronics failing to having to custom cut the truss poles for your mirror, this stuff shouldn't happen but is almost expected for some reason in telescopes.

I personally have no desire for GOTO. I'm purely talking hypothetically because I pretty much have the last scope I'll ever buy. But say I could ever afford or could handle another large one. The last thing I'd want to deal with is GOTO. Push to is about all I'd care about and that's it. All the doodads and dohickies are just more things to go wrong, and WILL GO WRONG on any given night. I see it all the time when I got out to events. I'm just fine setting up and pushing to an object now that I have a Sky Commander and using a wide-field eyepiece and using the old nudge method while my buddies are cursing and fiddling half the night trying to fix their systems. It's a never-ending cycle.

Oh well...

• Bill Jensen, George N and turtle86 like this

#37 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 31 March 2021 - 03:10 PM

I've been saying this for years about scopes. Not just these smaller batch high end dobs, but even the production scopes "everyone" gets like the SCTs. You pay thousands upon thousands for these machines and for the most part, have no expectations that they'll work right out of the box. From the electronics failing to having to custom cut the truss poles for your mirror, this stuff shouldn't happen but is almost expected for some reason in telescopes.

I personally have no desire for GOTO. I'm purely talking hypothetically because I pretty much have the last scope I'll ever buy. But say I could ever afford or could handle another large one. The last thing I'd want to deal with is GOTO. Push to is about all I'd care about and that's it. All the doodads and dohickies are just more things to go wrong, and WILL GO WRONG on any given night. I see it all the time when I got out to events. I'm just fine setting up and pushing to an object now that I have a Sky Commander and using a wide-field eyepiece and using the old nudge method while my buddies are cursing and fiddling half the night trying to fix their systems. It's a never-ending cycle.

Oh well...

Like a lot of folks, my first “serious” scopes were LX200 SCT’s, first an 8 and later a 12.  I never had any problems with either, but I was always concerned about the electronics failing, especially since those scopes were so dependent on them.  My 18” does have GOTO and tracking, and sometimes it’s really nice to have that feature, but much of the time I disengage the clutches and just do push-to with the Sky Commander DSC’s.  Only once did I ever have a problem with the electronics in my 18” while on the observing field (bad cable), but I was still able to keep observing just fine with a Telrad and star charts.  My 12.5” doesn’t even have DSC’s so I have to use a Telrad and star charts with it.  A lot to be said for observing “unplugged.”

• Bill Jensen and Feidb like this

#38 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:50 PM

In case I've not said so, I bought an 18 inch Litebox in 1998. I used it until this scope showed up in 2016 or 17. 

Before that I had two C8s in the 80s (remember Roger Tuthill?), the first edition of the 25cn f/6.3 LX-200. With like 990 objects???

The UC-22 was supposed to be my ultimate retirement scope when we move to AZ from CA.

It still will be. Because I can not A) get what I need to in a sale (especially posting message like this thread), and B) I would not screw a fellow amateur.

MANY of my friends had/have Obsessions. Alas... now I see... they were all classics. Foolish me. I should too have gone with a loaded 20. 

So someday, I hope it will still be that scope. I hope, it will be in a roll off roof observatory. I'll either remove the drive parts and sell it, or pay someone competent to come out, look, and revise and whole thing.

Funny. I had contacted Hubble Optics. They asked me to be the first 25 (maybe 24) inch owner. They said they would come out teach me to set it up and use it for about the cost of the UC-22.

I told him I appreciate that but did not want to be a alpha or beta tester at that price point... alas... 

Clear skies all!
Jeff

Edited by gdjsky01, 31 March 2021 - 10:52 PM.

• turtle86 and Feidb like this

#39 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2021 - 11:08 PM

Like a lot of folks, my first “serious” scopes were LX200 SCT’s, first an 8 and later a 12.  I never had any problems with either, but I was always concerned about the electronics failing, especially since those scopes were so dependent on them.  My 18” does have GOTO and tracking, and sometimes it’s really nice to have that feature, but much of the time I disengage the clutches and just do push-to with the Sky Commander DSC’s.  Only once did I ever have a problem with the electronics in my 18” while on the observing field (bad cable), but I was still able to keep observing just fine with a Telrad and star charts.  My 12.5” doesn’t even have DSC’s so I have to use a Telrad and star charts with it.  A lot to be said for observing “unplugged.”

I love faint fuzzies. I mean Alvin Huey and Steve Gottlieb are my heros. I want to 'detect' a 15th mag galaxy! I love finding GCl's. Galaxy Triplets are sort of my thing.

Or find an almost stellar PNeb amongst dozens and dozens of MW stars in a 1/2* FOV 

When using the 45cm f/4.5 litebox even tho I HAD the sky commander, I loved finding objects on my own! A chart (SkyMap Pro actually - still works better than all the others I have - and I have almost all of them), an 80mm finder, and a 31mm nagler. Those were my weapons. (And sometimes a filter, and now a 25mm ES 100*).

The issue was, as I would go back and forth from the chart to the scope, especially at higher powers, things would drift... yes I know the direction, but I would still get lost trying to get back to where I left off. 

TRACKING was the solution! Not goto. TRACKING. I could still have fun finding things, but I'd use the drive to bump it along and I'd still be where I left off when I match the next part of the starhop. And if lazy, which happens at some starparties... goto. Especially public nights.

Alas... You can not track that which is jammed/fallen off. :(

You can not even MOVE it. 

• Bill Jensen and turtle86 like this

#40 kirkwannabee

kirkwannabee

Explorer 1

• Loc: Rock Hill, SC

Posted 02 April 2021 - 09:18 AM

Hi Folks

I have had the UC22 since 2015 and have enjoyed it immensely. It is a real crowd pleaser.  I have experienced a lot of the issues mentioned in cloudy nights over the years and learned how to work around or mitigate them.  Collimation has never been an issue even after viewing all night and ServoCat is something you just have to learn.  Gary Myers has been and always stands by with the best customer support.  I have learned to connect the altitude cable in the dark by myself and I just attribute all these things to a learning curve.  I may be simplifying this and it may come easier for me than others but I have enjoyed the scope "Compromises" and all.  When you have Jupiter or even Saturn at opposition at 1100 power and can clearly see the Hexagon at the pole.  The line at the scope goes on for hours. Clear Skies Fellas and enjoy.

• George N, turtle86, a__l and 3 others like this

#41 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:23 PM

Hi Folks

I have had the UC22 since 2015 and have enjoyed it immensely. It is a real crowd pleaser.  I have experienced a lot of the issues mentioned in cloudy nights over the years and learned how to work around or mitigate them.  Collimation has never been an issue even after viewing all night and ServoCat is something you just have to learn.  Gary Myers has been and always stands by with the best customer support.  I have learned to connect the altitude cable in the dark by myself and I just attribute all these things to a learning curve.  I may be simplifying this and it may come easier for me than others but I have enjoyed the scope "Compromises" and all.  When you have Jupiter or even Saturn at opposition at 1100 power and can clearly see the Hexagon at the pole.  The line at the scope goes on for hours. Clear Skies Fellas and enjoy.

I hope you are as forgiving in all your purchases. I am sure you've bought new cars and new appliances, and a new home,  and immediately started fixing the problems with them.

Just for the record, the optics are great and I have said so.

For the record Gary Meyers was great and I have said so.

However IMO it's a flawed design and Gary can do nothing about that. He told me I am costing him money because this a big integrator.

And for the record, the manufacturer of this less than desirable telescope did NOTHING to fix the issues. 

So I'll ask again, if the high end Bose or Harmon Kardon stereo you paid a premium for  in your BMW sounds like an AM radio from the 60's, and the dealer says,  "Contact Bose, we just sort of install them ... sorta of", Is that ok?

Well I do not think it is. The 'integrator' (IMO of course) ripped me off to the tune of $3200 and did nothing to make it right.

Now the same integrator is making 100 more of the cars that may have bad radios, and I feel I am doing a service recounting the issues I have had. 

Buy.. I am not saying don't. I am saying IF you want to hear a perspective that is not as complimentary as many, this is mine.

Edited by gdjsky01, 02 April 2021 - 11:30 PM.

#42 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 03 April 2021 - 02:39 AM

Hi Folks

Sounds like you have been enjoying the UC22 greatly,  unfortunately the OP has had many issues (maybe got a Friday afternoon special)...... 

I hope the OP decide its time for him to move on from the experience and find a scope he can enjoy again, life is short and at time fragile........

• kirkwannabee likes this

#43 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2021 - 11:33 PM

Sounds like you have been enjoying the UC22 greatly,  unfortunately the OP has had many issues (maybe got a Friday afternoon special)...... 

I hope the OP decide its time for him to move on from the experience and find a scope he can enjoy again, life is short and at time fragile........

I am moving on, but not "Quietly into the night... " smile.gif

There is a certain "Owner Bias". It exists for almost for EVERY scope from a 60mm Archo to a 60cm dob. No one wants to admit they made a mistake.

Especially not an expensive (to me) one. It is far more prevalent to read of bad car, appliance, or electronics experience.

Amateur Astronomy is a much more tightly coupled group. And seems to have more people willing to accept mediocre.

There are those that are 'supposed to be' premium vendors. I'll simply say some vendors sell excellent products. Some don't. And, IMO, some do both. 

People keep asking "WHAT DO YOU WANT? All these years later? What is your point?" Well a refund on the integrated items improperly installed or designed would  be great.

Or a new, improved lower structure shipped to me with all the items installed, and labels to ship the old items back. 

Or an acknowledgment that the UC-22 does not work as well as they should. Or at least there are some built that are not correct. And how to fix it.

Or "I will personally fly out and FIX, once and for all, the scope as it was promised it should be when bought..."

LOL! Yes I know that is ALL a pipe dream.  Again, this thread is a PSA. Each person will, make their own judgement.

Edited by gdjsky01, 03 April 2021 - 11:36 PM.

• Bill Jensen, turtle86 and Feidb like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics