•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best DSLR to use with 10" GoTo Dob

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mcpep

mcpep

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:52 AM

Hi all, I've had my 10" Dob for a while now and taken some ok pics with the camera phone, however I've just come into some Amazon vouchers which I can spend on a DSLR to go with this, unfortunately Amazon don't do speciality cameras so I can't get one of them, and also I would like a nice DSLR for life in general.  I am aware of the limitations of Dob photography but would like to start my AP journey with some nice pics of the moon / planets and maybe the odd deep space object if feasible (I realise it won't be for a lot of DSO)

I've narrowed it down to either a Canon 6D Mk11, or a Pentax k1 Mk11.  At the moment I'm thinking the Pentax as I like the sound of the star tracking functionality that it has, although I'm not sure if this works well with a scope as opposed to having just the camera on a tripod..

I'd be very interested to hear people's opinions on both of the above, or any other DSLRs for use with a 10" GoTo Dob!  Thanks in advance :-)

#2 bbasiaga

bbasiaga

Apollo

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:21 AM

Just be aware it may be hard to get the scope to balance with a DSLR on it.  Look for the lightest one, and plan to add counterweights.  If your focuser doesn't have a lock then you might want to add one as well to help support the weight of the camera. It can be done though.  

If you also plan to use your DSLR for regular life (as you said you do), then Canon is the only choice between the two.  Pentax is sort of a footnote/joke amongst photographers.  Not that their stuff doesn't work, but their technology is behind and their ecosystem (lenses, accessories) are more limited.  It does not seem like they will remain in the game much longer.  

Canon on the other hand is typically the top selling brand, with Sony a close second.  Canon's DLSR line is about done as well - they are moving to mirrorless - but there is enough EF mount glass out there that you can get whatever you want for years to come.  

You should also look at the EOS R and RP - their entry level mirrorless cameras.  They may provide some weight savings over a 6Dmk2 as well.  These are on the new RF mount, which is the newest one and the way of the future.  The lens line up, particularly on the consumer quality/price side, is not as built out yet.  But they have some pretty good offerings that are affordable like the 24-240, and 24-105 variable F ratio lens.  They'll have more in the future, and you can buy an adapter and use any EF mount lens you want.  

-Brian

#3 mcpep

mcpep

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the reply!  I seem to remember reading that the Pentax K1 is considerably heavier than the 6D, so not too sure that would work too well.  Which is a shame as I liked the sound of the star tracer functionality for ladnscape / milky way photography.  But if it will be a hinderance attached to the scope then perhaps it's not the correct choice.  Interesting RE the Canon being much better for 'normal' photography too..

I will look into the mirrorless suggestions also, thanks!

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 bazookaman

bazookaman

Ranger 4

• Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:15 AM

You most likely won't be able to focus the dslr on your dob without a barlow because the focal plane is too close to the tube. I had to get a 2x for mine to work. Just a heads up.

#5 mcpep

mcpep

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:38 AM

I have a 2.5 Barlow so hopefully that would be sufficient!

#6 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:28 PM

Right now, a new warrantied 6D2 costs about the same as a new warrantied 5Ds (on fire sale) if/when the 5Ds gets back in stock.

The 5Ds is a much better (albeit heavier) camera:: 50 MP versus 24 MP; and has a silent shutter mode where the flip-up mirror is accelerated and decelerated by motor (rather than being slapped against a retainer). This was to soften the flip-up mirror vibrations--something the astro-photographer might (or might not) want.

#7 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:37 PM

Moving to DSLR, Mirrorless & General-Purpose Digital Camera DSO Imaging

#8 Iamhondo

Iamhondo

Explorer 1

• Loc: Salem, MO

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:40 PM

...unfortunately Amazon don't do speciality cameras so I can't get one of them...

Amazon sells dedicated astronomy cameras from ZWO.

One caveat for DSLR and a Dob: Very often the focuser on the dob prevents the DSLR from focusing. There are strategies for beating that conflict, but they take $$$.

Finally, if you want good Moon photos, you can take videos with a smart phone using and adapter on your eyepiece. Software can turn those videos in to great Moon photos. I recommend the Celestron XYZ Phone Adapter.

Joe 

#9 Quopaz

Quopaz

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:02 AM

I've got a 10" Skywatcher goto dob and Canon 60D and 600D DSLR's. Had them for about a year and all that time I thought I couldn't get focus without using a 2x barlow. Just today I worked out how to do it. All I had to do was remove the 1.25" reducer and put the camera straight into the 2" on the focuser. That brought it in quite a bit closer, enough to get focus. Tried it out on the moon this morning (with a blue sky) and it focused easily. Also the whole moon fit in easy too, it wouldn't fit with the barlow. Should also be better for fitting in the orion nebula too with a wider field.

#10 rk2k2

rk2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cool, CA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:21 AM

I don't have a DOB but off the top of my head from other applications, you might consider a mirrorless if your concern is about focus.  My problem wasn't with focus per se, but available spacing when using my reducer (which requires 63.5 mm).  With my DSLR having a 46.5mm flange to sensor distance, there was not enough available space to insert anything other than the parts necessary to attach the camera to the scope/ reducer.  My PL7 mirrorless has 19.25 mm, or an additional 27.25 mm to play with.   

And that there is one more reason to consider a mirrorless.

#11 mcpep

mcpep

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2021 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for all the advice with this everyone!  After all that I decided to go with a ZWO ASI183MC to save frustration if I can't get a DSLR to focus.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics