•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SIMBAD database

Astrophotography Celestron EAA Planetarium Software
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:08 AM

I have used CPWI for around a year using its Local Database, during which time I discovered that many popular objects are absent, including (for example) the Horsehead Nebula.

Until today, I had never tried CPWI's SIMBAD Online search tool, and it  works great! I have previously spoken to folk combining CPWI with Cartes Du Ceil or Stellarium to overcome this challenge, but a SIMBAD search puts your target in its correct location on a CPWI start chart, even if the object isn't in the local database. I like it! But still doesn't sweep away cloud. shocked.gif

SIMBAD.jpg

Edited by Noah4x4, 02 March 2021 - 09:10 AM.

• jl09 likes this

#2 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:46 PM

Hi Noah  

nice find on the SIMBAD data!

never really explored that option.

I have always linked SkySafari pro on my iPad to CPWI to provide the deeper database.

may give simbad a try tonight, if the weather forecast is actually accurate for once.

I know the moon it blaring in the sky , which is probably why Astrospheric is only predicting average viewing.

but it will be a good test of my new optolong L-extreme with my 3D printed mount to use with my EOS RA.

Take care - stay safe 

#3 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:11 PM

I don't think many others have found SIMBAD as it is common to combine CPWI with Cartes du Ceil.

What I like is that even if the object isn't naturally on the CPWI interface, on completion of a SIMBAD search it highlights its position. I have many obstructions to my North, so that helps me decide whether to bother with GoTo. This feature means GEM owners will know if an object crosses the Meridian. If you don't trust cordwrap....it helps that judgement too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Celestron, EAA, Planetarium, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics