•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Equipment supplies? No inventory? Finderscope

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 patclem

patclem

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:40 AM

Do telescope retailers just not carry any inventory? Looks like everything is backordered or lead times are months. Maybe the convergence blew out everyone's inventory, or COVID supply problems are still in effect?

I'm trying to buy a finderscope to add to my dobsonian - one that's less than $100 (I'd like the Orion 9x50 RACI), and I can't find one in stock other than the really cheap ones or the really expensive ones that are in stock. I have a telrad but I'd like to do two-step locating with a shorter eyepiece mounted. The telrad isn't accurate enough, at least for this beginner.

On the other hand, I'd buy one that's a little more expensive that could later be used as a guide scope in an AP rig and use a prism and eyepiece for visual, but I'm not sure the best setup for that.

#2 Mr. Pepap

Mr. Pepap

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maryland

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:49 AM

Yeah, all the factories are closed due to the pandemic. I had to wait three months for my C8.

I find it strange that the Telrad finder isn't accurate enough for you, I find the concentric circles to be very helpful. Oh well, to each his own I guess. 

If you like the 9x50 RACI, just have a little patience and it will eventually be in stock.

A guide scope for an AP rig is a little different, a little more expensive, and a lot bigger than your traditional guide scope (unless you get an OAG, which is what I have), because you'll need a guide camera to go with that as well.

As for a visual eyepiece, I use a 32mm EP for a wider FOV and a zoom eyepiece as my main.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Mr. Pepap, 02 March 2021 - 09:52 AM.

#3 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:50 AM

You're a little late - probably 1,000 people have already mentioned this same subject. Covid has had a major impact on not only telescope inventory, but also our grocery store, auto parts, medicine, car and truck factories, and almost everything else.

• Xeroid, BFaucett, Bean614 and 1 other like this

#4 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:57 AM

Watch the Classifieds here on CN.  You will find 9X50 RACI finder scopes for $50-$60.

• PNW and Hexley like this

#5 geovermont

geovermont

Ranger 4

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:00 AM

And remember: cheap finders (Orion, Meade, Celestron, etc) are, well, cheap. You'd be much better off with a Stellarvue 9x50 RACI or equivalent. They are expensive, but they are actual, well-made telescopes that you can conveniently focus and that give you a sharp field of view. I mean, you're using it to try to find stuff, right? So why not be able to actually see it clearly? A lifetime investment that you may keep longer than the telescope you mount it on.

• dudeyes62 and Hexley like this

#6 Migwan

Migwan

Vanguard

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:13 AM

Perhaps an ST80 for more versatility.  Orion says they have them in stock.  Link   If your not in a hurry, they become available regularly in the classifieds, but you have to be quick.   They sell pretty fast.  

jd

#7 nighty

nighty

Viking 1

• Loc: 75w39n

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:35 AM

Check Astronomics they have some in stock.

#8 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:04 PM

Another way to find some of the easier night sky objects is with astronomy binoculars. Regular compact binos are too dim for this. Using anything with at least 50mm objectives will work. I find that using my Oberwerk 8x56 LW or Nikon AE 10x50 gets me in the right neighborhood faster than my 9x50 RACI. Not always but usually. Then a wide angle eyepiece to finish the job. Good luck finding product during the pandemic. It's really challenging. noway.gif

#9 patclem

patclem

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:04 PM

Good suggestions. The ST80 seems like a good option. It’s going on a Z10. If I use a RA I should be able to mount it in the middle and avoid major balance problems. I’ll explore the options. Thanks!

#10 Hexley  Happy Birthday!

Hexley

Vostok 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:33 PM

Significant backorders, the pandemic, retailers still recovering from Xmas and the Chinese new year break... it's not even the pandemic, factories in China have been open and full steam ahead since last July... but yeah, unusually high demand for anything you can do at home - which includes astronomy.

My advice is to check the used market, but go ahead and place a backorder, if it ships great, if you find something sooner, cancel it.

#11 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:06 AM

Do telescope retailers just not carry any inventory? Looks like everything is backordered or lead times are months. Maybe the convergence blew out everyone's inventory, or COVID supply problems are still in effect?

I'm trying to buy a finderscope to add to my dobsonian - one that's less than $100 (I'd like the Orion 9x50 RACI), and I can't find one in stock other than the really cheap ones or the really expensive ones that are in stock. I have a telrad but I'd like to do two-step locating with a shorter eyepiece mounted. The telrad isn't accurate enough, at least for this beginner.

On the other hand, I'd buy one that's a little more expensive that could later be used as a guide scope in an AP rig and use a prism and eyepiece for visual, but I'm not sure the best setup for that.

Good suggestions. The ST80 seems like a good option. It’s going on a Z10. If I use a RA I should be able to mount it in the middle and avoid major balance problems. I’ll explore the options. Thanks!

I am confused. 

The Z10 comes with a GSO 8X50 RACI finder. It is labeled Zhumell, but it is this finder. 

https://agenaastro.c...age-finder.html

The Orion 9X50 won't be much different. I had an Orion XT8i with the 9X50 and now own an Apertura AD12 with the 8X50.  Not much difference.  So, why don't you have the RACI on your Z10?

Zhumell, Orion Skyline, and Apertura are all GSO scopes with GSO accessories, relabeled.  Good stuff.

May I suggest that you expand your signature to include your equipment so we can see what you have in eyepieces and accessories.

On my Orion XT8i and my Apertura AD12 I have the RACI and then added the Telrad.  Great combination!

To that I added a 38 mm 70 degree AFOV Agena Astro SWA eyepiece.  The Orion Q70 is the same eyepiece with a different label. In the Z10 that would give you 31.5 X and 2.2 degree FOV.  So your finder set is RACI to 8x50 to 38 mm.

https://agenaastro.c...a-eyepiece.html

https://www.telescop...iece/p/8829.uts

If, for some reason, your Z10 doesn't have the RACI, you might still consider going from Telrad to 38 mm.  The Telrad rings are .5, 2 and 4 degrees.  The 38 mm gives you 2.2 degrees so if you can get the target within the 2 degree circle you can see it in the eyepiece.  

I am in a very light polluted area.  Star hopping is near impossible, so I use the AltAz coordinate system as my primary method for finding things. 

Using an angle gauge to help find targets – AltAz coordinates
https://www.cloudyni...y/#entry8120838

I added an azimuth scale to the mount and an angle finder to the optical tube and now I can point the scope at anything with great success. 

Since going to the AltAz coordinate system, the Telrad is just used as a RDF to get me into the general area.  Often I skip the RACI finder and go right to the 38 mm/70 or my 20 mm/82.  In the 12" the 38 gives me a 1.7 degree FOV.  I normally hit the target within that field or slightly outside.  Finding stuff is no longer an issue even in my Bortle 8 location. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Apertura AZ scale close (640x480).jpg
  • Angle Gauges on XT8 OTA (640x539).jpg

Edited by aeajr, 05 March 2021 - 08:47 AM.

#12 SloMoe

SloMoe

Soyuz

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:11 AM

You will find that the ST-80 is very heavy as far as finders go, and the fov is about half that of an 8 or 9 X 50 finder scope.

• aeajr likes this

#13 Spile

Spile

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:43 PM

I found the straight through finder on my 200P hard work on my back. The Telrad certainly helped but I decided to change it for a raci...

https://www.firstlig...inderscope.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics