•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon Z6 or Nikon D5300 for 200mm f2.8 lens... which would you use?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin_A

Kevin_A

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Belmont, Ontario Canada

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:11 AM

I always have a hard time choosing which camera to image with on my smaller 135-200mm size lenses. My Nikon Z6 @iso800 is an awesome camera on my large triplet refractor but its big 5.9um pixels with an AA filter leaves me quite under sampled on smaller glass compared to my older capable stock Nikon D5300 @iso200-400 with its much smaller 3.9um pixels without a AA filter. Which camera would you use with a fast 200mm f2.8 lens for big targets like M42 widewield with flame or large less bright nebulas? All guided and tracked of course. I’m just curious to see what other would use and why? TIA. 

Edited by Kevin_A, 02 March 2021 - 10:31 AM.

#2 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:26 AM

200mm is on the small side for M42, unless you wish to record it with a bigger part of the sky included. With the Micro Nikkor 200mm f/4 and my D4/Df, I've obtained excellent results on bright comets though. With images cleaner and with more dynamic range than DX bodies. Prefer to stay on the lower side with ISO, 400-1600, even with the superb sensors in the D4 and Df, if at all possible.

The added detail and reach of the DX D5300 with a 200mm f/2.8 will certainly be helpful on M42, as long as you can keep ISO in a range you feel comfortable with, necessitating a driven mount and of course good skies. In your case, owning both, I suggest trying them on the same night with the less solidly mounted on a mount, so you will only have to change camera bodies.

• Kevin_A likes this

#3 tkottary

tkottary

Viking 1

• Loc: Earth

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:40 AM

Z6 . Imx410 is far more sensitive than d5300 sensor.
  • Kevin_A and jmohme like this

#4 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Aurora

• Loc: UK

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:41 AM

Both cameras are 24megapixels so it's purely a choice of field of view, assuming that optical aberrations are sufficiently under control.  The Z6 is a much nicer camera to use though.

Mark

Edited by sharkmelley, 02 March 2021 - 10:42 AM.

• Kevin_A likes this

#5 Kevin_A

Kevin_A

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Belmont, Ontario Canada

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:07 AM

Both cameras are 24megapixels so it's purely a choice of field of view, assuming that optical aberrations are sufficiently under control.  The Z6 is a much nicer camera to use though.

Mark

I do like the ease of use of the z6 compared to the D5300. I was also torn between AA vs non AA and larger well depth on brighter targets and if the higher Z6 iso800 would benefit me using shorter subs thus being able to reduce sub lengths and thus reducing my mount requirement and maybe keeping my stars a bit tighter. My mount is a ieq45pro and it isnt perfect. I definitely know i am splitting hairs here so dont get me wrong! Haha cheers!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics