•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can the HEQ-5 Pro carry 8-9kg for astrophotography?

DSO Equipment Imaging Mount
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ImfromFinland

ImfromFinland

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Salo/Finland

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:02 PM

hey ya'll! im wondering if i can put an 8" Carbon RC that weighs 6.3kg and with all the astro equipment it might be 8kg or somewhere close there. (not exactly sure) i just also got done with my observatory so wind shouldn't be such a huge problem,

i did buy the rowan belt kit and i put that in. with off-axis guiding can i use the HEQ-5 with such a payload of 8-9kg. 

Thank you :)

#2 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:50 PM

Darkframe who do tuning or belts or something rate it at 18/12 Kg. Which is 18 Visual or Maximum and 12 recommended for AP.

So you would seem to be well within the capabilities.

Darkframe Mount Data

May as well have a link to the table. You can read it yourself then.

Also it reads that Darkframe performed the tests with an 11Kg load. So they performed their measurements with slightly more then you intend.

Edited by sg6, 02 March 2021 - 12:51 PM.

#3 ImfromFinland

ImfromFinland

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Salo/Finland

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:56 PM

Darkframe who do tuning or belts or something rate it at 18/12 Kg. Which is 18 Visual or Maximum and 12 recommended for AP.

So you would seem to be well within the capabilities.

Darkframe Mount Data

May as well have a link to the table. You can read it yourself then.

Also it reads that Darkframe performed the tests with an 11Kg load. So they performed their measurements with slightly more then you intend.

alright! thank you i'll look into it deeper :D

#4 Topographic

Topographic

Viking 1

• Loc: Tarn et Garonne, France

Posted 17 March 2021 - 11:34 AM

I image with a RASA 8, 7.7kg and a SW Explorer 200pds, 8.8kgs, plus guiding/cameras etc. Both work fine. I have added an ADM saddle...much better than the original and, tuned it for backlash. I would recommend a  pier if you haven't already got one.

Guiding is reasonable with round stars. 

#5 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:40 AM

You have to forgive me if my conversions are a little off but the scope is listed as being able to support about 11.2 kg of weight.  I use the US measuring system and that equates to about 30 pounds of weight.  my scope I usually load with near that amount and it handles fine.  See my avatar for a view of what I attach.

#6 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 18 March 2021 - 02:20 PM

My Heq-5 handles my approx. 9.5 kg image train fine (Esprit 100ED+ASI2600+FW+60mm guidescope+guider cam).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSO, Equipment, Imaging, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics