•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY 178c malfunctioning (not happy)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:10 PM

Ok, so my adventure with this  expensive tiny-sensor Cmos camera coming to an end. 
I requested an RMA from Highpoint scientific. 
Uninstalled reinstalled the cam drivers several times. 
It turns out, it's not just me being a complete noob, but it's malfunctioning.  Noob + malfunctioning, brand new camera for $640 = big turn off from this hobby. 
1. The fan is always on at Maximum, as soon as I plug it in.
2. It cools down the camera, but unable to hold temperature at a set temperature, it aims for maximum cold. 
3. QHY's EZCAP is a terrible joke of a software, but regardless it also unable to control the temperature. 
4. Sharpcap tries to control it (I hear the fan slow down for 1 second, then picks up again, even if I turn the temp control off) 
5. It supposedly have a dew heater in the sensor lens and I supposed to see if it's working. It's not working either. 
6. I can barely find any info on this camera, must be highly unpopular or unknown, even on a QHY website it's a pain to find a manual or information. 

I'm still in the 30 day warranty so I don't think I should bother with any sort of tinkering, I should just send it back. 
Someone has any info on reliability of QHY cameras or whether they are reliable compared to others (they seem to be overpriced for what they are), please let me know. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 02 March 2021 - 12:12 PM.

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:58 PM

Just curious how you are powering the camera?

#3 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:52 PM

I can't see anywhere in your post where you explain what the actual problem is, but it appears to be something about cooling? Can you be more precise in describing what you're running into?

1. With QHY cameras, the fan is always on when 12V power is applied
  2. Without a USB connection and its driver loaded in the OS, a QHY camera will automatically cool to 0C. This is the case if only 12V power is applied before the USB is plugged in.
  3. EZCAP is meant for basic functionality testing and use of the camera, therefore it is basic in nature. No big surprise.
  4. The power load of the TEC coming online does cause the fan speed to dip momentarily. I have found that this is more pronounced when the input power is at or less than 12V. If the input voltage is not too low then the fan speed will rebound after a second or two.
  5. I'm not sure how you expect to "see" that a dew heater works. Were you expecting a visual indicator? Is the front sensor window of the camera dewing up? Like the fan, it's always on once 12V power is applied.
  6. The manual is here

Edited by dghent, 02 March 2021 - 01:52 PM.

#4 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2021 - 07:31 AM

I can't see anywhere in your post where you explain what the actual problem is, but it appears to be something about cooling? Can you be more precise in describing what you're running into?

1. With QHY cameras, the fan is always on when 12V power is applied
  2. Without a USB connection and its driver loaded in the OS, a QHY camera will automatically cool to 0C. This is the case if only 12V power is applied before the USB is plugged in.
  3. EZCAP is meant for basic functionality testing and use of the camera, therefore it is basic in nature. No big surprise.
  4. The power load of the TEC coming online does cause the fan speed to dip momentarily. I have found that this is more pronounced when the input power is at or less than 12V. If the input voltage is not too low then the fan speed will rebound after a second or two.
  5. I'm not sure how you expect to "see" that a dew heater works. Were you expecting a visual indicator? Is the front sensor window of the camera dewing up? Like the fan, it's always on once 12V power is applied.
  6. The manual is here

Ever since then, I fixed it.  First of all, the fan inside the camera was hitting a wire inside the housing, this is how it was out of the box, so the noise was louder than it was supposed to. I wasn't sure this is what it supposed to sound like or there is an issue.
I removed the back plate and tried to just press away the cables to make more clearance for the fan. The noise went away.  It sort of bothers me though, they really need to find a way to secure those tiny wires inside the camera, so they aren't in danger to be chopped up by the fan it just irks me, like seeing a desktop computer with horrible cable management. 
2nd.. The drivers. It was a driver issue, the cooler would actually just not turn on so it was showing me weird numbers jumping to max cooling and down, but in reality it wasn't cooling.   
Once I installed the latest drivers, the problem fixed itself.  It's hard to sort out QHY's website, because there are multiple pages showing drivers for it, or the link for the driver is dead.  They really need to work on this. 
Thanks for the link!  I did look through that and gives a basic idea how to install it, but there isn't any information on read out noise, and camera performance. 
I had to go hunt down the related version of the ZWO with the same sensor to get that information.  QHY is lacking on that. 
BTW, both cameras are discontinued with this sensor. 

https://astronomy-im.../asi-178mc-cool

Attached Thumbnails

• zwo178.JPG

Edited by unimatrix0, 19 March 2021 - 07:39 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics