•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 12”ACF LX90 (worse case scenario do I have any consumer rights!?)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:19 PM

Hi all from my understanding your consumer rights in the USA,Canada are most probably a little bit different to here in the UK,however genral thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.

firstly I will try and keep it short and sweet as possible to get my point across as I’ve discussed in further details regarding the issues I have been having with my Meade LX90,I puchased my Meade scope in around November,December time back in 2019 and most of the time been very happy with it as an larger portable 12” sct cassagrain,as most of us are aware that a 1 years manufactures warranty is standard in most products we puchase today,and some dealers,vendors can extend that as a good Will gesture and my scope came with an exstended warranty with 2 years 

So in November time of 2020 my scope gave up the ghost and stopped working,the route of the problem was in the Dec axis that failed to slew in the alignment procedure and then the encoder and Dec motor was replaced apparently to the Meade engineer in uk he thoroughly tested the scope however not in the actual alignment procedure to see everything was working as it should and my dealer said otherwise that he should of done this in the real world scenario type of thing if he was actually useing the scope at night.however due to typical bad uk weather I haven’t been able to use of much also down to bad health.and last Friday evening I finally had the opportunity to use the scope only to find out yes the problem was solved and working in Dec axis however alignment was way off.so the next route I took was to train the drives thoroughly during the day time so I need to try out again on the next opportunity when it’s clear again.

so it’s now been over 3mths now since the 2 year warranty period ended with the dealer however I cannot 100% say at this stage in time untill I’ve found out my problem solving has worked but like I said in beginning of this thread if the engineer thoroughly tested the scope as he did I might not of been in this predicament and now if the worst case scenario the problem still haven’t been fixed after my next observing session it’s a possibility I’ve come up with a stale mate situation with a knacked scope when I feel that when the original repair was undertaken every thing should of sound as a pound (English quote)

(please note I’m not asking advice just views on the situation thanks guys Sean)

#2 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:07 PM

Still suggest you contact SCTelescopes and enquire if Steve can do anything.

It says he worked for Broadhurst Clarkson and Fuller and they were Meade importers/suppliers so he would seem a good option.

is address is given as Tonbridge, Kent TN12 6TB, possibly within reasonably easy reach of Epsom. However as ever an email to explain the/your situation would be useful and I half guess you might have to wait a few more weeks for our restrictions to be lifted although you may not need them to be fully lifted - still seems a little confused what and when.

However at this time and after the various periods have expired I would say you are to some extent on your own. Would depend on who you purchased from and how much they will accomodate you in the present situation. Does read as "difficult". Especially when you add in the bankruptcy situation of Meade - not even sure who imports Meades in the UK, or did.

Edited by sg6, 02 March 2021 - 01:13 PM.

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:31 PM

Still suggest you contact SCTelescopes and enquire if Steve can do anything.

It says he worked for Broadhurst Clarkson and Fuller and they were Meade importers/suppliers so he would seem a good option.

is address is given as Tonbridge, Kent TN12 6TB, possibly within reasonably easy reach of Epsom. However as ever an email to explain the/your situation would be useful and I half guess you might have to wait a few more weeks for our restrictions to be lifted although you may not need them to be fully lifted - still seems a little confused what and when.

However at this time and after the various periods have expired I would say you are to some extent on your own. Would depend on who you purchased from and how much they will accomodate you in the present situation. Does read as "difficult". Especially when you add in the bankruptcy situation of Meade - not even sure who imports Meades in the UK, or did.

Hi thankyou ive already contacted Steve just waiting for some initial feed back

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics