•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon APS-C LPF-2 Dimensions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ro xl123

ro xl123

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:27 PM

Hello, I want to modify two Canon APS-C dslrs, both of them are Canon 550D. I want to replace the LPF-2 with a UV/IR Cut filter, so the camera will have transmission between 400-700 nm and not beyond it. I was thinking of buying UV/IR Filters and cutting the replacement filters myself. I'm confident that i can cut at least 2 filters out of a 2" telescope filter for APS-C sensor size, but i don't know the thinkness so can't be certain.

Most of my prime lenses have infinity-hardstop, instead of sensor position adjustment i was thinking of just making up replacement filters to discard future need of use external uv/ir filters. Does this makes sense? Any ideas on dimensions incl. thinckness for Canon APS-C LPF-2 filters? 

To be honest, the reason i'm considering to go through all this trouble is that i'm thinking of going into the market of selling astro-modified cameras for profit in my country, where there is no such market but demand for it. For my personal use, i'd be alright just adjusting the sensor position and not caring for AF, viewfinder or else. But if i want to sell cameras this could become important. 2" 400-700nm UV/IR Cut Filters cost 18 usd while filters like Baader etc. cost at least 70 € or higher. 

Any advices?

Edit: I will be using both cameras i'll be modifying initially, but i don't want to tear them apart without doing my research first. So they're not for sale, i want to use a dual-camera approach for longest dithered tracked exposures.

Edited by ro xl123, 02 March 2021 - 12:29 PM.

#2 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:29 PM

LPF2 filter dimensions: 19.2mm x 26.6mm x 0.6mm

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics