•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

White LED street lights--Help

Filters
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 terrypaula

terrypaula

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:35 PM

Does anybody know of a light pollution filter that will help with an LED street lights?  The street light near my home was recently updated  It appears to be a full spectrum white light.  The Astronomic CLS light pollution filter I've been using in my T3i in pretty much useless against it.

#2 mborland

mborland

Mariner 2

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:20 PM

Narrowband imaging is the best way to deal with it. If that's not in the cards, try something like an Optolong LeNhance or LeXtreme, or a Radian Triad Ultra.

You could also complain to the city about it. If you can convince them that it shines into your bedroom, they may shield it.

--Michael

• dswtan and ngc7319_20 like this

#3 petert913

petert913

Aurora

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:22 AM

Also, most cities will install light shields if you request them. These shields block the “ sideways” intrusive light. A big help   

• terrypaula, DSOGabe and radiofm74 like this

#4 terrypaula

terrypaula

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:30 AM

It's only one street light for gosh sakes it's not not Chicago.  If I had to buy a Radian Triad I'd quit the hobby and find something else to do.  Besides that I don't think  could see anything through one.  Plus spending over $500 for one piece of shiny colored glass is just too much. I was looking for a solution that wouldn't cost $100 or more.  I'm not imaging I'm trying to find some way so overcome a little light pollution for visual/EAA observations.

I live in a small community that wouldn't think of the shields.

I can always ask the city to do something about it they just might do that.

What's an LeNhance?

#5 Stevencbradley

Stevencbradley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Payson, Arizona

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:22 AM

It's only one street light for gosh sakes it's not not Chicago.  If I had to buy a Radian Triad I'd quit the hobby and find something else to do.  Besides that I don't think  could see anything through one.  Plus spending over $500 for one piece of shiny colored glass is just too much. I was looking for a solution that wouldn't cost $100 or more.  I'm not imaging I'm trying to find some way so overcome a little light pollution for visual/EAA observations.
I live in a small community that wouldn't think of the shields.

I can always ask the city to do something about it they just might do that.

What's an LeNhance?

Of course, you might consider calling the city's Maintenance dept. to see if they can change the type of light, in lieu of an expensive solution that might not work.

#6 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:31 AM

Enquire about some form of shielding being installed.

And do it politely, it helps an awful lot.

Could be an idea to be at home if/when they come to install as then you can possibly show/explain the situation better. If they did agree to some shield all that gets through the system would likely be "No 99 wants a light shield installed." Nothing more, and you probably would like a big light shield and maybe even angled or something.

However these days get used to the idea of LED lights appearing. They come with living in a town.

Doubt they will change the actual lamp, there are however lower color temperature LED lights, that are actually fairly pleasant.

Has the one you now have come with a timer? And could/would they sort of switch it off at say 11:00PM. Likely not, but enquire.

The only real "help" is too late. Get along to the town meetings and make a point before concrete decisions are made.

• radiofm74 likes this

#7 GeorgeLiv

GeorgeLiv

Your Light Pollution Info

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Montreal Canada

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:04 AM

The street light near my home was recently updated  It appears to be a full spectrum white light.

What was it before? Did it cause glare or trespass before? Was it maintained? When was the last time its bulb was changed before it was updated to LED? Was the LED head installed on the same lamp-post?

#8 ftur62

ftur62

Explorer 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:53 PM

Check out the IDAS D2 Light Pollution Suppression Filter   ( I used it when it first came out with decent results.

#9 ironhelix

ironhelix

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Rocklin, CA

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:17 PM

I have a similar issue. I'm able to block it some with a 6'x10' tarp, which reduces its impact on my night vision. Most of the street lighting in my area is LED now, and the IDAS D2 filter I have doesn't help as much as I hoped it would. A Bortle 6 sky is frustrating.

Edited by ironhelix, 06 March 2021 - 12:31 PM.

#10 radiofm74

radiofm74

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Milano (Italy)

Posted 09 March 2021 - 05:51 AM

From what I've read, LEDs have much wider emission lights than the older street lighting and LPR filters or similar are in general not effective against them.

Your problem is one streetlamp – it would seem that the solution is to ask for more/better shielding or otherwise trying to shield yourself from direct interference (hood, screens…). 

• BFaucett likes this

#11 RLK1

RLK1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:25 PM

Noted at Pine Mountain Club which is at the base of Mt Pinos, a popular observing site in SoCal: "* Light dimming sheets will be installed under the lenses of the exterior clubhouse lights to soften the brightness of the new LED lights. The dimming sheets are on order and will installed upon delivery." 

https://pinemountain...to-minute-alert

So, there's evidently some sort of screening material that can be added to an existing LED light to attenuate it.

#12 GeorgeLiv

GeorgeLiv

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:53 PM

Horrible terminology used in the link provided. I've worked in the lighting industry (more like infiltrated) for a little bit, but have never come across "dimming sheets". Is this supposed to be a curtain of some sort under the lights?

"* Light dimming sheets will be installed under the lenses of the exterior clubhouse lights to soften the brightness of the new LED lights. The dimming sheets are on order and will installed upon delivery."

#13 RLK1

RLK1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:16 PM

Horrible terminology used in the link provided. I've worked in the lighting industry (more like infiltrated) for a little bit, but have never come across "dimming sheets". Is this supposed to be a curtain of some sort under the lights?

"* Light dimming sheets will be installed under the lenses of the exterior clubhouse lights to soften the brightness of the new LED lights. The dimming sheets are on order and will installed upon delivery."

A products known as "Lightdims" for indoor/outdoor LED lighting is readily available on Amazon and at other vendors. What difference does it make that it's called "dimming sheets" as long as it does the trick? You can call it a cloaking device for all I care as long as it attenuates a needlessly ultrabright outside lighting fixture, be it public or private. Do we have to nitpick the terminology, too?

#14 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 10 March 2021 - 02:37 AM

Let's all stick to the spirit of the thread - to find a solution, not to over analyse Amazon terminology for which none of us are responsible!

• csa/montana and BFaucett like this

#15 GeorgeLiv

GeorgeLiv

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 March 2021 - 04:31 PM

The lighting products produced today or in the past have been designed by electrical engineers in R&D departments of lighting companies. The mass-light emitting devices thyemselves (i.e.; sodium & metal-halide lamps, LED or induction lighting devices) have been "invented" by scientists.

Products installed outdoors throughout history have been installed by ordinary and sometimes totally illiterate persons. These are (or have been) hired workers, a small team of installers for a lighting contractor, a simple business owner or an eager homeowner. If all these people have no guidance for the lighting products they have access to, the potential for excess lighting, poor aim, control, spill and trespass will always be high.

This is the case with dimmable LED systems. If you're not following a makers instructions or have guidance as to how these products should be installed, with or without peripheral devices, then it's the same-old fixed dusk-to-dawn lighting.

#16 RLK1

RLK1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2021 - 05:39 PM

The lighting products produced today or in the past have been designed by electrical engineers in R&D departments of lighting companies. The mass-light emitting devices thyemselves (i.e.; sodium & metal-halide lamps, LED or induction lighting devices) have been "invented" by scientists.

Products installed outdoors throughout history have been installed by ordinary and sometimes totally illiterate persons. These are (or have been) hired workers, a small team of installers for a lighting contractor, a simple business owner or an eager homeowner. If all these people have no guidance for the lighting products they have access to, the potential for excess lighting, poor aim, control, spill and trespass will always be high.

This is the case with dimmable LED systems. If you're not following a makers instructions or have guidance as to how these products should be installed, with or without peripheral devices, then it's the same-old fixed dusk-to-dawn lighting.

So, from someone like yourself who lists your moniker as "Your Light Pollution Info", can you actually offer a solution to the OPs problem instead of criticizing others for doing it?

Let's assume that the people who install dimming sheets as they're referred to in another post aren't illiterate and know what they're doing. Although you may not like the term, surely somebody in the know like yourself can offer alternate recommendation for something different. If you can't then simply say so.

My solutions for the OP:

1. Call the public works department and ask for shielding of the offending light. Presumably, after knowing the location of the OP, the public works department can fit the shield so it works as it should. 

2. If the public works department doesn't have a shield, send them the link noted post #11and ask them to install the same or equivalent material. It doesn't hurt to ask.

3. If the public works department won't take action, consider an inexpensive filter first. My recommendation, which has been described on various CN forums, can work both visually and photographically. That latter is a Svbony UHC filter and the 1.25" version cost less than thirty bucks. Here's an image taken by a beginner on CN today with the aforementioned filter: https://www.cloudyni...sonian-synscan/

4. Consider installing a tent or shroud around your equipment.

5. If observing visually, use an observer's hood or a "hoodie" to reduce the ambient light. 

I use suggestions 3-5 with good effect.

#17 GeorgeLiv

GeorgeLiv

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 March 2021 - 01:10 AM

So, from someone like yourself who lists your moniker as "Your Light Pollution Info", can you actually offer a solution to the OPs problem instead of criticizing others for doing it?

Criticizing? My apologies in that I made you feel that way. Try googling my "moniker" and see what pops up. Under CN rules I'm not allowed to openly link my site in forum threads. I also doubt this reply will last more than a few minutes.

#18 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:48 AM

Criticizing? My apologies in that I made you feel that way. Try googling my "moniker" and see what pops up. Under CN rules I'm not allowed to openly link my site in forum threads. I also doubt this reply will last more than a few minutes.

Cloudy Nights Terms of Service

Last Updated 01/15/2021

VI. Vendors

d. Vendors may not advertise in their signatures. However, vendors may include a single link to their business in their signature.

https://www.cloudyni...tion=boardrules

Bob F.

#19 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 14 March 2021 - 05:05 AM

If possible, try to determine the lighting standard installed and see if there are light shields available for the particular light standard installed in you neighborhood. If there is a shield available, offer to purchase the shield and ask the lighting authority to install the shield.

Also, be aware that the ownership of some lighting standards are owned by the electricity supplier and you may also need their permission to install light shields. Where I live (San Jose, CA) the City has committed itself to a contract with PG&E (?) to lease the lighting standards in a way to reduce upfront installation cost while reducing the cost to the City.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics