•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Needing a map of connections

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gatehealing

gatehealing

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:19 PM

I am struggling to get my entire rig running as a complete setup.

Here are the components I need to link together. I’ll be using laptop to control mount. At first, I just want to be able to see what the telescope sees on my laptop. After I’ve learned to have the mount auto controlled by the laptop/guidescope camera I’ll get into recording images, stacking em etc.

1) ZWO ASI224mc cool (on scope)

2) ZWO asi290mm mini (on guide scope)

3) Pegasus Powerbox Advance

4) Sky-watcher eq6r pro (I’ll grow into it)

5) Laptop with all kinds of software I’ve downloaded till I figure out what does what...I got these from the video by roro about my eq6r pro. Here’s the list (I couldn’t get registax6 or pixi....weird errors):

(disregard timestamps; they’re where each is shown in vid)

0:57​ ASCOM Platform
2:45​ EQMod
7:23​ PHD2
8:10​ Nighttime Imaging N' Astronomy (NINA)
14:55​ ASTAP & database (G17 or G18)
19:52​ ASI Drivers & ASIStudio
21:48​ Stellarium
23:53​ Pixinsight
24:08​ DeepSkyStacker
24:45​ AutoStakkert!3
25:28​ PegasusAstro Software
26:55​ Registax
27:27​ Firecapture
28:50​ SharpCap
30:05​ FITS Liberator

I also got MetaGuide per a forum suggestion to explore vs phd2.

What goes into Pegasus? I have 2 available USB 3.0 ports on my laptop. I know Pegasus will go to one of them. I’ve found maps that show the asi290 going into asi224, then that to computer, or to Pegasus...this is my problem/confusion. There seem to be endless routes.

when trying to setup Eqascom driver settings, I cannot get it to see my mount when I hook it up and power everything on.

thanks y’all.

jon

#2 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:36 AM

>> ZWO ASI224mc cool

That has a very small sensor. What kind of optics do you have?

You can minimize cabling by plugging the USB for the guide camera '290 into the main camera '224.

You can plug your laptop into the mount head. Don't bother going through the hand controller.  To get your laptop to talk to the mount I needed to download (I use Win7) a new USB driver for the USB device in the mount. You have to set the baud rate in Windows Device Manager to 115,200. And set the baud rate in the ASCOM driver to 115,200.    Most discussions of this connection say the mount is on COM3. For me it is on COM5. Just make sure the ASCOM driver COM port number matches the COM port that appears in device Manager when you plug into the mount.

Edited by t-ara-fan, 03 March 2021 - 01:47 AM.

#3 gatehealing

gatehealing

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:41 AM

>> ZWO ASI224mc cool

That has a very small sensor. What kind of optics do you have?

I’m really new to this, so I’m starting with smaller cameras to learn on...I’ll upgrade gradually.

when you ask about optics...is that what scopes? If so, guide is 60mm Orion. Main is WO star 71 apo (5 elements).

#4 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:55 AM

Hey - has it warmed up down in Texas?

Yes I meant the scope. 

Now I remember - the driver for the USB in the mount for a  Prolific chip. You might need it - not sure if it is in a default Windows setup.

On this web page http://www.prolific...._id=225&pcid=41

get this file  http://www.prolific....taller_v205.zip

Edited by t-ara-fan, 03 March 2021 - 01:55 AM.

#5 gatehealing

gatehealing

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:58 AM

Yes I meant the scope. 

Now I remember - the driver for the USB in the mount for a  Prolific chip. You might need it - not sure if it is in a default Windows setup.

Ah, thank you. I remember something about that USB port needing something due to a chip in new mounts, but I’ve watched too many videos and my eyes and ears are crossed!

• SonnyE likes this

#6 gatehealing

gatehealing

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:44 PM

Yes I meant the scope. 

I downloaded the driver, and the Toolbox still cannot find the mount?? I'll keep looking for a troubleshooting article on it, but if y'all know, please drop me a link and I'll read and try to get it fixed.

Thanks!

JOn

#7 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:11 PM

• When you plug the USB cable into the mount and laptop, does the laptop make a "ba-doink" sound?  That means Windows found a USB device, does not mean the driver works.
  • Open "Device Manager" in Windows. Under "Ports" do you see something like "Communication Ports: COM3" ?  If so that means the driver works.
  • Right-click on the com port, select Properties, then the Port Settings tab. Set it to 115,200  8  None 1 None.

What is the "Toolbox" you mention?

Start the EQASCOM driver, and make sure the same COM3 (or whatever port you saw above) is selected. And make sure the baud rate is 115,200

#8 gatehealing

gatehealing

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:07 PM

• When you plug the USB cable into the mount and laptop, does the laptop make a "ba-doink" sound?  That means Windows found a USB device, does not mean the driver works.
  • Open "Device Manager" in Windows. Under "Ports" do you see something like "Communication Ports: COM3" ?  If so that means the driver works.
  • Right-click on the com port, select Properties, then the Port Settings tab. Set it to 115,200  8  None 1 None.

What is the "Toolbox" you mention?

Start the EQASCOM driver, and make sure the same COM3 (or whatever port you saw above) is selected. And make sure the baud rate is 115,200

Thanks! I got it figured out, although I need to go look at the 8 None, 1 None thing.

Toolbox is the title of the shortcut/app on my desktop. Once in that, it says EQASCOM at the top of the box that opens . . .this is where I can do the Driver Setup etc.  . . .once in Driver Setup, I get the smaller window that has the slewing buttons etc., and says EQMOD ASCOM SETUP at the top. The icon looks like a capital E.

#9 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:47 PM

8  None 1 None:  

• Data bits = 8,  parity = none, stop bits = 1, flow control = none

That is the default for the port, so you probably only need to set the baud rate to 115,200.

#10 gatehealing

gatehealing

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:57 PM

8  None 1 None:  

• Data bits = 8,  parity = none, stop bits = 1, flow control = none

That is the default for the port, so you probably only need to set the baud rate to 115,200.

Yup, that's what it is

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics