•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3D printing a DioptRx adapter for Leica ASPH Zoom?

3d printing Eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charleston, SC

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:40 PM

tl;dr: Call me crazy, but is there any good reason an adapter couldn't be 3D printed to mate a DioptRx to the Leica zoom?

In the thread Leica kool-aid, it was revealed that the cylinder of the revealed zoom EP is about 50mm wide. This is much wider than the ~44mm than the DioptRx. With dreams dashed and hearts broken, everyone seemed to have moved on.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 05.11.18.jpg

But not me! I can't help but think this is just an engineering problem.

I have a few parfocal rings with little hex screws in the side. Seems you could print a sort of sheath out of PETG, heat set some threads in the side, then bite into the side of the exposed cylinder of the Leica to clamp it on, similar to a parfocal ring. The top of the sheath would have enough lip for the DioptRx to grab onto, at a loss of maybe an extra mm or less. There are other clamping mechanisms which could be explored, as well, which might put the DioptRx even closer to the Leica lens.

...Yes you could probably just use glasses, I understand that. Please don't raise that as a counterpoint, because I'm well-aware. I've grown rather attached to the naked-eye viewing the DioptRx has afforded me, probably because I can't enjoy glasses-free viewing for anything else in life. My eyes are still gradually getting worse too, so any form of surgery will have to wait.

That said, please do tell me why it won't work. Or, speculate as to how it might! I lack a Leica in the flesh for testing or exact measurements, though I intend to probe my local astronomy club in case someone does. Anyone want to snap some photos and take some measurements?

On paper, the Leica Zoom (physical incompatibility aside) would seem ideal for DioptRx. You get a wide range of focal lengths without having to swap out DioptRx's (or buying one for each eyepiece that needs it). The Leica eyepiece also remains rotationally stationary, unlike the Baader zoom, allowing for more ergonomic zooming absent the need to loosen the focuser/Paracorr thumbscrew first.

And beyond that, I'm attracted to the prospect of having two parfocalized, DioptRx'd eyepieces (Leica+22T4) to handle basically every FL I'd need (plus a Barlow). True minimalism for long-term savings.

Edited by thecelloronin, 02 March 2021 - 11:42 PM.

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:09 PM

I’ve thought about getting a Dioptrx and removing the lens so that I could rig it to the APM 30 UFF that everyone is raving about. Same issue, the lip is larger than the Dioptrx. Let us know if you do it!

#3 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charleston, SC

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:18 PM

Will do, Steve! I have little doubt the mechanics of it should work, it’s just a matter of eye relief. Just need to find some measurements or a live specimen. Keep you updated!

Edited by thecelloronin, 03 March 2021 - 01:20 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3d printing, Eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics