•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 2264...Way Inside the Cone Nebula

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Astrovetteman

Astrovetteman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Terre Haute, IN

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:32 AM

I had one heck of a time processing this one! When I put the SHO channels together, I could see the bright stars and some green haze. I did manage to pull a luminance image out of , what I thought, was a fair amount of data. I saved up 6 One-Click Observations from Telescope Live (which is not a lot but a fair amount--12 each @300s). I did a Buch of ColorMasks and CurvesTransformation and came up with this. I have no idea how these colors should look, this deep into the nebula. I think that this field is centered on the star 15Mon which looks like it resides in a cave of nebulosity and it's a part of the Christmas Tree Cluster (NGC 2264) the actual Cone is just below the bottom of the image.
This is an emission nebula and the Christmas Tree Cluster consists of young stars that are mostly obscured by dust clouds, within which there is a lot of new star formation going on.
Anyway, hope ya like it...I thought it looked kind of neat!

CONE_NEBULA_CDK24.jpg Cloudy Nights.jpg
Tom

Full Resolution Image: https://astrob.in/full/rl6c75/0/

Edited by Astrovetteman, 03 March 2021 - 12:35 AM.

• Hobby Astronomer, ramdom, nof and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics