•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Baader 2" safety cool Herschel Prism

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:59 AM

Hello Cners,

I am not new to the hobby, but will be new to Solar observing and would like opinions on using a Baader 2" safety cool Hercshel  prism diagonal. Besides using this diagonal is there anything else that I need to know?  I will be using this either with a AT102ED or a Altair 102ED F/11. 

THANK YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

• philmor56 likes this

#2 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:59 AM

The only crucial point is that you use either a neutral density, a rotatable polariser or a solar continuum filter after the prism. I find the solar continuum filter (540nm) gives the most detailed view but the image is bright yellow-green.

Herschel wedges can be used with refractors only. I use mine with a TOA150.

I have used my Tak 1.6x extender before the prism without difficulty. This is probably not recommended but I locate it well inside focus (roughly 8") so the illumination is not too extreme. I have had no issues.

You may want to get yourself a solar finder. I find the Televue Sol-Searcher works quite well. You can also try the ScopeStuff offering - I have an older version which I secure using a bit of bungee cord.

• briansalomon1 and Jethro7 like this

#3 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:24 AM

The wedge will have to have an ND3 filter installed - not a case of either/or. You have to have one.

Will say I would expect the Baader to have a permanent one installed - giving you no choice or option but keeping your eye safe.

After the wedge you can put in a variable polarizer if you wanted to reduce the intensity down more - it would be at around 1/20,000 of the incoming at this stage. 1/20 for the wedge and 1/1000 for the ND3. An ND5 front filter is 1/100,000 so the wedge and its filter is some 5x more then a Baader solar film filter on the front.

Another good item is a continium filter that passes through at the 540nm range so green in appearance but the sunspots are supposidly more detailed. Never found I use enough magnification for "big" sunspots and there is at present precious little on tne sun anyway. Slight hiccup of a continium filter is the cost, they are not inexpensive for what is a green filter.

You may want to get a UV/IR cut filter in there. Sort of extra protection and if doing outreach nice to be able to say one is installed.

From memory I do not think you will necessarily need a "finder". Sure the Baader projects the image of the sun on to a rear screen with a cross on it. You manouvre the sun image on to the cross and the sun should be central in the scope/wedge setup.

Just remember it is still only a "white light" image, not the detailed Ha or CaK.

• Jethro7 and LU1AR like this

#4 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:21 AM

The old prism is a great way to do white light solar observing.

Image quality is much better than full aperture solar filters.

And a great way to see if solar is for you before you invests 1000's on that perfect solar scope

I had a 2" Lunt wedge which was great, most come with ND filters ready to go

#5 philmor56

philmor56

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bolton, ON

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:49 AM

Hello Cners,

I am not new to the hobby, but will be new to Solar observing and would like opinions on using a Baader 2" safety cool Hercshel  prism diagonal. Besides using this diagonal is there anything else that I need to know?  I will be using this either with a AT102ED or a Altair 102ED F/11. 

THANK YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Here's a recent thread that may be of use.

https://www.cloudyni...erschal-wedges/

Cheers

#6 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:52 AM

The only crucial point is that you use either a neutral density, a rotatable polariser or a solar continuum filter after the prism. I find the solar continuum filter (540nm) gives the most detailed view but the image is bright yellow-green.

Herschel wedges can be used with refractors only. I use mine with a TOA150.

I have used my Tak 1.6x extender before the prism without difficulty. This is probably not recommended but I locate it well inside focus (roughly 8") so the illumination is not too extreme. I have had no issues.

You may want to get yourself a solar finder. I find the Televue Sol-Searcher works quite well. You can also try the ScopeStuff offering - I have an older version which I secure using a bit of bungee cord.

The old prism is a great way to do white light solar observing.

Image quality is much better than full aperture solar filters.

And a great way to see if solar is for you before you invests 1000's on that perfect solar scope

I had a 2" Lunt wedge which was great, most come with ND filters ready to go

Here's a recent thread that may be of use.

https://www.cloudyni...erschal-wedges/

Cheers

Hello thank you noise jammer, SG6, Avgvstvs and philmor56,

The Baader wedge comes with a solar continuum filter, I have all of the other filters on hand.

I appreciate the tips and the knowledge that the Baader wedge is a good way to go for white light observation. 

When I get home from work I will read up on the threads.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

#7 starbug

starbug

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Germany

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:41 AM

The Baader wedge comes with ND3.0 and Solar Continuum installed. In the Photographic version lighter ND filters (ND 0.6 / 0.9 / 1.8) also included in the package.

Have it (photographic set), like it.

• Jethro7 likes this

#8 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:19 AM

My experience is that the permanently installed ND3 filter is not enough for comfortable visual observing although it has dimmed the Sun's light by roughly 70% compared with naked eye observation (assuming a 6" refractor and a 2 mm constricted pupil.)

Before migrating to the 540nm filter, I tried a ND2 and rotatable polariser. I find the polariser most comfortable but the continuum filter offers the most surface detail.

It's unlikely to matter in our lifetimes but I was able to observe the cyan blue (nitrogen) ring around Venus during first contact of the 2012 transit. This would have been missed if a narrow band filter was in use. (I missed it in 2004 for both contacts because I was using a Thousand Oaks objective filter.)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics