•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GEM45: couple of follow-up questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DRK73

DRK73

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland, United States

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:34 AM

Got it out for the first time under the stars this evening, usual first-time snafus. BUT: 

According the instruction manual, a 5.5mm x 2.1mm center positive power cable should fit. I want to power this mount off of a deep cycle battery, so ordered the appropriate size cable - and it doesn't fit. This is what I ordered; did I make a mistake?  

Also, kind of surprised that for a mount boasting a capacity of 45 pounds, it comes with a single modest counterweight. To heft my little 72mm refractor and camera stuff, I've got the one counterweight almost at the bottom of the counterweight shaft. I'm pretty confident that I don't have a chance at getting my AT115EDT to balance. Is it better to get an additional counterweight or shop around for a shaft extension? 

Thanks!

#2 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:55 AM

I used a second counterweight even on my 80mm. As you can figure, they both rode about half-way up the shaft. I think you'll prefer the extra counterweight rather than a shaft extension.

• DRK73 likes this

#3 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Apollo

• Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:48 AM

For my  Esprit 120 I bought and use an extra 10 and 5.

Certainly you will need the 10 for your 115.

As for your cable I not sure. I bought the Ioptron 12v dc tip adaptor to plug into my remote battery.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0758-2.jpg

• DRK73 likes this

#4 honyi

honyi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Equator

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:42 PM

Got it out for the first time under the stars this evening, usual first-time snafus. BUT: 

According the instruction manual, a 5.5mm x 2.1mm center positive power cable should fit. I want to power this mount off of a deep cycle battery, so ordered the appropriate size cable - and it doesn't fit. This is what I ordered; did I make a mistake?  

Also, kind of surprised that for a mount boasting a capacity of 45 pounds, it comes with a single modest counterweight. To heft my little 72mm refractor and camera stuff, I've got the one counterweight almost at the bottom of the counterweight shaft. I'm pretty confident that I don't have a chance at getting my AT115EDT to balance. Is it better to get an additional counterweight or shop around for a shaft extension? 

Thanks!

From what i see at paragraph 2.3 at page 7 of your mount manual, the socket that supplies power into your mount is 5.5mm x 2.5mm, centre positive.

This is different from the CEM40, which uses a 5.5x2.1

• limeyx likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics