•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1x Field Flattener for Meade 6000 80mm? What works?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aatdalton

aatdalton

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:54 AM

Hi all, just purchased a Meade 6000 series 80mm triplet and I'm looking to find a 1x field flattener to match it. Anyone have any experience with this? Will be for photographic work with an APS-C sensor.

#2 ratskrad

ratskrad

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heber Utah

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:26 AM

While not the same scope but similar in specs and optics I use an Astro Tech AT2FF on my WO GT81 IV to get pretty good results. I find no need to crop due to bad stars. I am using an Orion G26 OSC on this setup and it uses an APS-C chip and no issues capturing all that the sensor sees. 

#3 aatdalton

aatdalton

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:42 AM

That's actually the one I'm looking most closely at right now so good to hear it's working for you.

#4 Mark Eby

Mark Eby

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Giego, CA, USA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:18 PM

I've used the AstroTech AT2FF field-flattener on the following scopes with results as indicated:

Excellent:

Astro-Tech 8" F8 1600mm FL Ritchie-Chretien

TS-Optics 130mm F7 910mm FL Refractor

Very good:

Orion 80mm F7.5 600mm FL Refractor

Explore Scientific 80mm F6 480mm Refractor

Improved but not as good as the recommended focal-reducer/field-flattener from StellarVue:

StellarVue 70mm F6 420mm Refractor

As you can see, the shorter and faster the scope, the more field-curvature, and the less effective the AT2FF is. In all cases above the spacing was fine-tuned. Start with the recommended 55mm. If the corner-stars are "pointy" (elongated toward the center of the image), increase the spacing. If the stars are "flat" (compressed toward the center of the image), decrease the spacing. You'll probably get the same results as I did with the ES80: very good but not perfect.

Have fun!

PS: Sensor is C size, ZWO ASI1600

Edited by Mark Eby, 04 March 2021 - 02:20 PM.

• aatdalton likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics