•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Price Criteria

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maia, Portugal

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:19 AM

Here`s another question that you dont see so often.

When you sell a telescope, what is the criteria used to place a price on it?

You search the market for similar scope and see the average price for that model?

For example, my telescope, the FSQ 106 ED, what is the price for this? Depends on how good the refractor is? How old it is? I see a big difference on the same model. For example, on Astromart, there is a FSQ, model N, the blue one, for $4000. I saw, dont remember where, the same model, for $3200!!

Is it normal??tongue2.gif 

• teashea likes this

#2 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:35 AM

Your Answer to your Question is relatively simple!?

most items on the preowned market place roughly go for 2/3rds of the original retail price,and more premium brands can go slightly north of that ie tak,APM,televue those are just some exsamples.there is also an old saying something is only worth what you truly are willing to pay for that item.however due to the pandemic supply and demand has effected the preowned market place a little and some owners have caught on this and are asking above and beyond the useall 2/3rds price. The philosophy I generally go by When is comes to money who is your friend or tho as when it comes to money there is,nt such a thing.

Edited by Supernova74, 03 March 2021 - 03:37 AM.

• eros312, rerun, Emanuel and 1 other like this

#3 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:42 AM

Prices are not easy, however as I tned to keep my scopes it has been irrelevant to me.

Yesterday - not a refractor - I did see someone selling a scope ring for £125 here in the UK. Just the one as they didn't need 2. Now I have 2 of the same rings on a 150mm newtonian OTA that I just want the scope internals for. I paid £50 for the whole OTA. I would most likely give my 2 rings away.

So prices can have a large variance.

Also read a WO GT81 for sale at £900, I only paid around £550 for mine new, although it is one of the original batch.

Anyway, are you allowed to sell a FSQ 106 ED?

Sure there must be some law against doing such a terrible action.

Probably some small print in the depths of the manual saying you are commited to never parting with the scope.

• Emanuel and teashea like this

#4 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:50 AM

The basics of sales is that you can list any price you like.

If it doesn't sell quickly, it's probably too high.

If you have 3 buyers within an hour, too low.

A lot of stuff I see on the secondary market sits there for months

under the rationale "I paid $2000- so I am letting this one go at $1800-"

(for the 10%, wouldn't you get a new one with warranty?)

Other stupid comments include "$3000- at this stage" (I will just wait till you weaken)

Or emotional comments on why they are selling it!  Really, who cares! 

Other variables are the location and condition, urgency to buy/sell

Just go for a price you are happy with and adjust as needed

More than 90% of my equipment below was bought on the secondary market

Edited by Avgvstvs, 03 March 2021 - 04:13 AM.

• Emanuel likes this

#5 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:56 AM

Prices are not easy, however as I tned to keep my scopes it has been irrelevant to me.

Yesterday - not a refractor - I did see someone selling a scope ring for £125 here in the UK. Just the one as they didn't need 2. Now I have 2 of the same rings on a 150mm newtonian OTA that I just want the scope internals for. I paid £50 for the whole OTA. I would most likely give my 2 rings away.

So prices can have a large variance.

Also read a WO GT81 for sale at £900, I only paid around £550 for mine new, although it is one of the original batch.

Anyway, are you allowed to sell a FSQ 106 ED?

Sure there must be some law against doing such a terrible action.

Probably some small print in the depths of the manual saying you are commited to never parting with the scope.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Probably the best answer that i saw so far. I need to read the manual again lol.gif 

#6 teashea

teashea

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:47 AM

Condition matters more to me than to most people.  To me condition would be a prime factor but it does not seem to be.

• Jon Isaacs, Eric P, Doug D. and 1 other like this

#7 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:56 AM

Condition matters more to me than to most people.  To me condition would be a prime factor but it does not seem to be.

I,m a bit of a snob when it comes to preowned items,especially eyepieces that’s why I mainly puchased new however on the other side of the coin how ironic would it be for the prospect seller to sell a dodgy eyepiece from the likes of televue maybe not to look after it as thay don,t come cheap so generally I would think any sane person would simperly look after them!?

trust me don,t you find it annoying when you lend an blueray film to a friend or something only to find out thay couldn’t be bothered to place it back in the case where it belongs!? Unfortunately some folks I know do it to there eyepieces you want to be viewing through the eyepiece without seeing ten ton of dust particles in the way,lol that’s what dust covers are for.

#8 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:15 PM

Yes, completly agree with you. I know a few of those guys that dont take minimum care, even if things dont belong to them. I tend to thrust that we, astro guys, take good care of our things, but i know that there is also persons on our hobby that are just like that.

In my case, all that i can say, is that, i take as much care as i can, and when it cames to handle the FSQ, im always, and i do mean always nervous, until i have it secured on the mount, and then,after using,when its safe on his case, that i bought especifically for him.

Its not a case of thinking that someday i will sell those products, but im simply like this.

So, all the things i sold so far, were as good as new.smile.gif

• payner and teashea like this

#9 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:56 PM

Exactly.  There can be a price free fall when you have coating scratches, fungal spots, dents... etc 

#10 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:18 PM

If it is a scope that is sold quite often, then you might want to look at the history of sales in the Classifieds. Of course, this will show you what the scope was listed for, but may not be the actual sales price. Usually ads will give you an idea of condition that may also guide you in pricing.

#11 kksmith

kksmith

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:26 PM

As long as the optics aren't compromised, an OTA exhibiting "highway miles" isn't a turn off for me - especially if it makes an unaffordable scope now affordable.  I have a tightfisted Domestic CFO, two daughters in serious relationships (think weddings) so funds for "frivolous pursuits" are strictly limited. Define affordable? Right now an AT102ED is considered unaffordable nor conducive to domestic harmony. grin.gif

• Jon Isaacs, Emanuel and teashea like this

#12 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:27 PM

I would also just point out that you don't typically know what a scope ends up selling for on Amart or CN.  The listed price is not likely the negotiated price and based on my own experiences, it can differ a lot. I doubt anyone goes back and edits the asking price after sale.

On the other end of the spectrum, for many A-P scopes you can reasonably expect them to sell for more than they cost when new.  Same is true for some other gear like a Zeiss APQ or "exotic" eyepieces (e.g., ZAO I or II).  Sometimes a "collector" is willing to pay a lot more for a scope if it fills a hole in their collection.  For these types of scenarios, auctions can make a lot of sense.

#13 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:37 PM

Other factors are included accessories. You have a scope commonly used for imaging. I’m guessing Tak makes some reducer or flattener for it, and I’m guessing it’s not cheap. Tube holder, finderscope, case, all that stuff can impact price. Shipping too. With eyepieces the shipping cost doesn’t vary as much so many people list the final price after shipping and PayPal. Telescopes are bigger so shipping tends to be negotiated separately, but not always.

But yeah you have the right idea. There isn’t a Kelly Blue Book for telescopes so you just have to search CN or Google to see what people might pay. Because when you post it, prospective buyers are going to search the same sources to see if your price is reasonable.

Scott
  • eros312, Emanuel and therealdmt like this

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:05 PM

Condition certainly matters.  A scope that is 8 years old may have been used 20 nights or 500 nights.  Just handling a scope 500 nights takes it's toll.

Jon

• eros312 and Emanuel like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics