•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trying to decipher dedicated camera histogram in relation to DSLR

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 HowardSD

HowardSD

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 05:09 AM

After getting the new ASI 533mc to work, actually didn't need an extension tube as my previous questions were about focusing now i'm left with a few more questions.

I managed to get up and running using the ASI studio which seems a very uncomplicated way to do things after i've viewed a couple of other programs albeit probably good enough to get me started at least, my main questions are in relation to the histogram.

Having used a DSLR for a year this looks somewhat different and i'm not sure where i should be aiming to get my curves (see attached image), this seemed to be a decent exposure, does this histogram look where i should be aiming for exposure wise (about a 1/4 over from the left hand side), similar to the histogram on my DSLR?

Next question is about calibration frames, mainly flats, darks i assume should be same setup as the "Lights", however when shooting flats should i be looking for a matching histogram curve or slightly different I always shoot my lights with the DSLR to be 1/3 over from the left hand side.

Attached Thumbnails

• 533 test.png

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics