•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is this too much scope for a beginner?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 roycej

roycej

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:49 AM

Hi,

I've been using a 90mm MCT for a while now and enjoying observing the moon and planets.  I recently retired and I will be relocating later this year. I want to move someplace with truly dark skies and my dream (one of them anyway)  is to sit in my back yard with a glass of wine and a cigar and stargaze. I have no interest in astrophotograpy, just visual observing. 

I went to a general merchandise auction last week and I came home with this:

IMG_0802.jpg IMG_0801.jpg IMG_0803.jpg

The price was just too good to pass up, but I'm afraid this is way too much scope for me, although I'd like to think I could eventually grow into it. I can't use it at present as I don't have a mount for it, or any eyepieces worthy of it. If I sell it, I can make a tidy profit, enough to get a 10 inch Dobsonian or something like that. , 

So I'm a bit conflicted here. I can hang on to this, start saving for a mount and eyepieces, and plan to start using it after I relocate. Or I can sell it and get something a little less...grand. Any advice or opinions will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Royce

• Rollo, MellonLake, CltFlyboy and 1 other like this

#2 PNW

PNW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lummi Island, WA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:08 AM

Royce, that's one fine scope. Your challenge will be the mount and eyepieces. If you got such a good deal on it, I'd shop around for all the accessories. There's no urgency to get the best when the good will give you outstanding enjoyment. There's really no rush since you can flip it in a minute. BTW, my first motorcycle was a Harley and my first boat was a 40' sloop. So, I don't think that's too much scope for a beginner.

Edited by PNW, 03 March 2021 - 11:14 AM.

• BKBrown, havasman, jdjetson and 6 others like this

#3 McGarnicle

McGarnicle

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:13 AM

Royce, that's one fine scope. Your challenge will be the mount and eyepieces. If you got such a good deal on it, I'd shop around for all the accessories. There's no urgency to get the best when the good will give you outstanding enjoyment. There's really no rush since you can flip it in a minute.

I agree. And I’d rather have the story to tell about the great deal I got when I show off the scope.

If you follow the classifieds here, you’ll be able to find good deals on a mount & eyepieces. 

• roycej and Iamgr8er like this

#4 jimhoward999

jimhoward999

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Brentwood, Tennessee

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:25 AM

If you went to buy that scope new, it would probably cost $4500.  So if you were to sell it...for probably $3000 if it is in great shape, while you might make a tidy profit (you dont say what you paid), you will probably never be able to justify purchasing such a scope in the future. 

I wouldn't sell it, I'd buy a nice mount and good eyepieces for it. It is not too much scope; I bet you will enjoy it tremendously. 

• CeeKay and roycej like this

#5 Iamgr8er

Iamgr8er

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Enumclaw WA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:26 AM

is there such thing as to much scope??? maybe. But I'd keep it. 

• Rollo, The Luckster and roycej like this

#6 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:35 AM

I think that is a fantastic scope for a beginner as it really shouldn’t give you any problems, there is almost nothing to adjust (or go out of adjustment) and it should produce a fine, high contrast image. Add a good mount, dew shield, eyepieces, and a comfy observing chair and you’re all set.

Enjoy!

• havasman and roycej like this

#7 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:38 AM

Too much scope usually refers to one that is so big and heavy that it winds up in the basement gathering dust and vermin. The mount for your scope doesn't have to be a monster for visual, just solid so it doesn't shake when you use it. Congratulations on your good deal...keep it...enjoy it! waytogo.gif

• ravenhawk82 and roycej like this

#8 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:42 AM

Great scope. By all means, keep it. The mount will be a challenge but there are quite a few good options from which to choose. Eyepieces will be less so because just about any well spaced set will work great in that scope.

Congratulations!

• izar187, Astro-Master and roycej like this

#9 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:42 AM

I have that same scope (with 3" focuser and 3" Star Diagonal) and love it! They are selling new for $7000 now. I'd hang onto ot for the future.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 26 81 80 Explore Scientific ED Triplet APO Finderscope price increase.jpg

• roycej likes this

#10 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:50 AM

What do you want exactly? Opinions that match yours? Opinions that don't?

Setting aside the EP cost quibble you know the market value of the scope and have some idea of what you would need for a satisfactory mount and the cost to buy one, new or used. You have done the calculation and only you know how that fits into your finances, your idea of what instrument will be there along with the wine and cigar. You may have an idea of the continuing cost of the wine and cigars.

I do not think you are looking for financial advice. I am not even sure that you are looking for any advice.

Sell it and buy a nice Dobsonian and a couple of nice eyepieces! Save some for a bottle of good wine, something better than whatever you normally drink, enjoy if from a nice quality glass. I no longer drink "better" wines so I can't help you with which one, except maybe you should, though I hate to say it, buy something French or German. The trend of late to high alcohol wines is hard on the pallet and on visual acuity.

Wait. Don't sell it, take the plunge and get a good mount. The wine will taste better, you will lean back, savor the wine and sneer at those who do not have a your sense of good taste in telescopes and cigars. You will regret nothing. And if later you want more, the buy a Dob, they are a commodity item. 

The extra cost of it all won't buy you a day in the old astronomers home, and people love to look at big refractors.

Final thought. You may as time goes by and your night vision inevitably and inexorably declines have the thought that maybe a color camera used as the eyepiece for live imaging (EAA) might, just might, show me a lot more. When that happens you will want a refractor more than a plain and simple Dob.

Edited by barbarosa, 03 March 2021 - 11:52 AM.

• spaceoddity, roycej and DouglasPaul like this

#11 roycej

roycej

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for all for your replies. The scope is back in its case and I will start saving for a suitable mount. 

• havasman, BFaucett, Stacyjo1962 and 6 others like this

#12 KBHornblower

KBHornblower

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Falls Church, VA (Washington DC suburb)

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:49 PM

If I had a windfall like that, I would temporarily mount it on my small Dob mount in place of the 6" f/8 Newtonian for a tryout.  I know I would have to get down on my hands and knees for anything much above the horizon, but that would be okay for starters.  It can go wider than the Newt with 2" long focus eyepieces and give great high-magnification views of the planets and close double stars with suitable eyepieces.  It is my understanding that this type is unsurpassed for high resolution and contrast for its size.  This may be as close as it gets to being an all-purpose 6" telescope.

If the mount of my dreams was backordered or a budget buster for the short run, I could build a usable mount from lumber and pipe fittings from Home Depot.

• Jim Haley, ravenhawk82 and roycej like this

#13 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:45 PM

Nice. Try it out. If it doesn't intimidate you then it is the perfect scope. 

• roycej likes this

#14 Stevencbradley

Stevencbradley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Payson, Arizona

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:05 PM

Looks fine to me. You can't do much better than that, and used mounts come up all the time on eBay & Craigslist, or ShopGoodwill. If you don't mind a small fee, go for Astromart. Just pay attention to the ratings on any auction site. Some are really terrible--and justly so.Research what you want. You might also look into making a tripod and mount. If you're a tinkerer, there are lots of items that can be repurposed--or put a pier where the average Joe puts his bbq...
In any event, CONGRATULATIONS, and happy retirement!
  • roycej likes this

#15 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:33 PM

Other Common uses: This APO also makes a fine ~right-sized~ finder on my modest 36-incher. That's actually what I bought it for. It readily swaps places with that white 8" Vixen finder shown in the picture. For that application I use the 6" APO with 3-inch Star Diagonal + TV 41mm Panoptic eyepiece. That gives me 30x Rich field with no vignetting and no central obstruction. That comes out about the same as using a 5x30mm finder on an 8-inch scope.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 27 Brobdingnagius Rex 36-inch with Flapper Car Battery.jpg

Edited by TOMDEY, 03 March 2021 - 04:41 PM.

• Dave Mitsky and Echolight like this

#16 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Viking 1

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 03 March 2021 - 05:16 PM

That is an excellent scope. I would recommend holding on to it. Save up for the mount and a few quality eyepieces and you are set to go. It will do wonders in a dark sky location

• roycej likes this

#17 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:04 PM

I think the answer depends on your own preferences. I certainly wouldn't say that a 6-inch f/8 APO is "too much telescope" in an optical sense. Remember -- this is after all just a 6-inch scope. It won't do a whole lot optically that an 8-inch f/6 Newtonian at least as well, at vastly lower cost. But it is a refractor, with all those not-so-tangible but very real benefits.

Physically, this is again no bigger than an 8-inch f/6 Newtonian, though it is a great deal harder to mount due to the fact that the pivot point needs to be well over your head.

And there's nothing at all hard to use about this scope -- quite the contrary!

So it really comes down to money, don't you think? In which case the decision is truly up to you.

Personally, I'm a Newtonian kinda guy all the way. I love refractors with focal lengths up to about 4 inches and focal length up to about 30 inches. Beyond that, Newtonians just make a whole lot more sense -- for me. Your own mileage will no doubt vary.

• spaceoddity and roycej like this

#18 jjbag

jjbag

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mid Atlantic

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:15 PM

I went to a general merchandise auction last week and I came home with this:

How does one get to go to one of those general merchandise auctions and where do they hold them.. I would love to go and find a beauty like that.

• ravenhawk82, CeeKay and Older Padawan like this

#19 roycej

roycej

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:06 PM

How does one get to go to one of those general merchandise auctions and where do they hold them.. I would love to go and find a beauty like that.

I believe the auction house called it an estate auction. I called it general merchandise because they had everything from pickup trucks to exercise equipment to floor tiles. There are lots of these types of auctions here in Texas, many of them are online now because of COVID. I've found most of them via Internet searches.

• jjbag and radiofm74 like this

#20 ravenhawk82

ravenhawk82

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:35 PM

I say invest in a good mount and a couple eyepieces and keep it. That's a fantastic scope that will serve you well as a beginner and you'll only appreciate it more as you become a more experienced astronomer. This is also a somewhat rare example of a scope that is excellent for both visual and photographic use, so should you ever decide you want to try astrophotography you already have an incredible scope to get started with. Great find!

• CeeKay, kksmith, roycej and 1 other like this

#21 kksmith

kksmith

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:50 PM

Naw...this is a life time scope. You will grow into it and never outgrow it. Unless...of course you fall prey to aperture fever and lust after 12" and bigger.  

• roycej likes this

#22 izar187

izar187

Aurora

• Loc: 43N

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:52 PM

You can also build a mount for the scope.

Called a Berry telescope mount.

https://www.cloudyni...-for-refractor/

• havasman and roycej like this

#23 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:21 AM

No, that is a good scope. It is a 6" scope - how many get told to go buy an 8".

Looks easy enough to pick up and put on a mount and refratcors are easy scope top get along with.

You shouldn't have any [problems, you should have some good views, OK very good.

It will last a lifetime, and a bit longer.

• roycej likes this

#24 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Cosmos

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:51 AM

You can also build a mount for the scope.

Called a Berry telescope mount.

https://www.cloudyni...-for-refractor/

+1 for the Berry mount! Built right, it works very well--and it's perfect for backyard stargazing.

• izar187 and roycej like this

#25 epee

epee

Aurora

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:03 AM

That is a great scope. You've aroused my envy wink.gif  I'm surprised, if it was an estate sale, that the mount wasn't around there somewhere. Even so, it is possible to build a perfectly usable visual mount for it. The main consideration will be storage and how easy it will be to use.

• izar187 and roycej like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics