•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Guiding issues after the Meridian Flip-N.I.N.I-PHD2

Beginner Imaging Software EQ Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Yeager17

Yeager17

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:24 PM

So I have just started imiging this week since the clouds broke. I am using N.I.N.A, PHD2 and Stellarium. The origanal problem was that everything is running well but when the automatic Flip starts NINA does all the steps correctly but once it starts to guide again the Dec seems to go out of wack and doesnt end up recovering. So I decised to enable the "reverse DEC output after the meridian flip". Which fixed the DEC but now the RA goes haywire and doesn't recover. I have not used the guiding assist yet since I was currently imiging.

Equipment

EQ6R Pro

ZWO ASI120 mm Guide Camera

N.I.N.A- PHD2

Would really like to figure this out before Friday so i can sleep most of the night before work.

Logs

https://openphdguidi...2_logs_KAxK.zip

Still trying to figure out how to upload the N.I.N.A log

#2 Jinux

Jinux

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:45 PM

From the description, I guess you're using ST-4 cable for guiding. You may want to change it as ASCOM pulse guiding.

Once you setup PHD2 with it, NINA/PHD2 will take care of RA/DEC flip after meridian flip, so you don't have to do anything.

NINA will flip, centering, find new guide star and continue imaging.

Highly recommend to switch to pulse guiding. 

-Jinux

• rgsalinger likes this

#3 Yeager17

Yeager17

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:57 PM

ASCOM Pulse guiding is being used and NINA/PHD2 are taking care of all of that automatically. So I don't know what is happening after it starts to guide again and starts the next exposer.

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:20 PM

Just a guess but after you changed the setting (correctly) to reverse guiding on flips, did you recalibrate the mount? If you didn't perhaps you need to do so before guiding will work properly. Just a guess. 

#5 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:38 PM

This is likely not a NINA issue, and the EQ6R + EQMOD combination is a pretty popular combination amongst NINA users. I'm going to guess that you have a balance and backlash issue that is causing the dec axis to flop around.

First things first, have you followed and applied the advice from the PHD2 Best Practices guide? Have you looked over the Troubleshooting section in the PHD2 documentation?

#6 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:47 PM

"but now the RA goes haywire and doesn't recover." is what he wrote. Just curious why you would suspect balance and backlash on the DEC axis causing the RA axis to misbehave.

Completely agree that the guide is always worth a read.

Rgrds-Ross

#7 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:42 PM

"but now the RA goes haywire and doesn't recover." is what he wrote. Just curious why you would suspect balance and backlash on the DEC axis causing the RA axis to misbehave

A hunch. New people with new gear not following best practices (he would have ran Guiding Assistant if that document was taken to heart). This usually means an incomplete description of the issue mixed with some misinterpretations of the results. This predicament comes from wanting to image before getting everything in order first. Pretty common.

At any rate I hope they will now check all of the balances, follow best practices, and run Guide Assistant and apply its recommendations, then report back.

#8 Yeager17

Yeager17

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:51 AM

I finally did get it fixed with some fiddling around in the settings, this was very helpful info. Thanks everyone for the input and guidance.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Imaging, Software, EQ, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics