•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

L-eXtreme “sees” planes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:29 PM

Well I was out last night shooting Heart and Soul nebula with my new EOS RA , Optolong L-eXtreme with 135 mm f2.4 lens.

the moon was still down so I was getting good imaging results.

Then I noticed blinking streaks in one exposure!

jet passing through the FOV.......

I guess the blasted nav lights do emit enough to make it through the Optolong L-eXtreme.

I wouldn’t think they would but photo proves it.

sigh, not much you can do about it.

Between planes and satellites it’s a real battle.

take care

#2 AstroBrett

AstroBrett

Ranger 4

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:09 PM

I use Pixinsight and the rejection algorithm removes the trails for satellites, planes and meteors completely. I imagine other processing packages do the same. So you do have some options other than losing your frames. 

Brett

#3 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:38 PM

Indeed that is no issue. Even DSS has an algorithme that gets rid of it...Startools has also a tool to get rid of if...

Maybe that certain lights just pass through. It this not the case eg LED lights? Or am i wrong

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:54 PM

Well I was out last night shooting Heart and Soul nebula with my new EOS RA , Optolong L-eXtreme with 135 mm f2.4 lens.

the moon was still down so I was getting good imaging results.

Then I noticed blinking streaks in one exposure!

jet passing through the FOV.......

I guess the blasted nav lights do emit enough to make it through the Optolong L-eXtreme.

I wouldn’t think they would but photo proves it.

sigh, not much you can do about it.

Between planes and satellites it’s a real battle.

take care

These filters allow light through in very narrow bands.  But anything that emits broadband light (white light) will also have light within those narrow bands.  So the plane's lights, the moon, stars, etc, wiill definitely show up in those filters.   They should be greatly reduced in brightness though because the filter is ONLY letting the portion of their light in those bands through, and blocking the rest of the light outside those bands.

But as mentioned above, stacking software will detect those pixels as outliers compared to the rest of the images and eliminate the streaks.

-Dan

• durak likes this

#5 Pokemoncrusher1

Pokemoncrusher1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:55 PM

They are usually very bright leds, excuse me if Im wrong but a point source led covers all visible wavelengths? Pretty sure thats why they went through the filter.

#6 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 03 March 2021 - 05:54 PM

Quick read on aircraft lighting.

"An aircraft anti-collision light system can use one or more rotating beacons and/or strobe lights. These are typically colored either red or white and have stronger intensities as compared to other aircraft. Many aircraft have both a rotating beacon and a strobe light system"

I will say the intensity was definitely cut way down from what I have in other exposures with broad band filters.

Yes, I realize DSS will "Filter" this out with frame processing.

I do like the results from the L-extreme compared to the broad band filters.

Take care

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics