•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Collinder 69 (Lambda Orionis Cluster)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dUbeni

dUbeni

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lisboa, Portugal

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:35 PM

Hi! After a long and rainy winter finally came a couple of nights with partial clear skies gave me chance to do another sketch. A couple of weeks ago on the first of these nights I was able to observe CR 69 and CR 65 with the 8" f/4 newt and decided they would be my next projects. So, last night equipped with the ED80S f/9 I sketched CR 69 and tried to sketch the double stars in it, I say tried because seeing and transparency were poor and I was only able to split STF 738, and another one nearby, but not part of the cluster STF 763.

Some info on the cluster: https://en.wikipedia...Orionis_Cluster

Lambda Orionis Cluster CR69 crop
I might redo this sketch with the newt next time, it shows a bit more stars. The reason why I used the ED80 is that I wanted to sketch the doubles and definitely the f/9 refractor does wonders if seeing cooperates.
The original sketch reversed: https://www.cloudyni...1_5095_4201.jpg

The sketches of the doubles stars will come later.

CS
Bernardo

• frank5817, Jef De Wit, niteskystargazer and 7 others like this

#2 mdowns

mdowns

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:28 PM

Bernardo,

I just sketched this very target last week and posted on our club's FB page. Your 80mm is a perfect scope for most of the Cr clusters and you did a fine job here representing it. BTW,don't overlook nearby Dolidze 17,19 and 21 with your 80mm. I drew those as well with the 90mm at 16x. I thought I was the only one pursuing these lessor catalogs with a small scope.You made my afternoon sir!

• dUbeni and flt158 like this

#3 dUbeni

dUbeni

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:46 PM

Thank you mdowns, I've been entertained with the Collinder catalog because it's all about open clusters, but surely I will follow your suggestion as soon as the sky clears again cool.gif

Now, the promised doubles: STF 738 AB, D and E. I wasn't able to split STT 111, although on good nights I've split closer ones, it could be due to the difference in magnitudes 4.03.

Anyway there is a note on Stelledoppie that says: visually invisible, K-band or other infrared star rPM =0.784. What those this mean?

MCA 20 as a separation of 0.5" and it's not even a physical double. Definitely invisible to me lol.gif

Double stars In Lambda Orionis cluster CR 69 ED80S F9 copy

CS

Bernardo

• niteskystargazer, David Gray and flt158 like this

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:57 PM

Bernardo,

Fine sketch of CR 69 and the doubles you included here.

Good to hear you are having breaks in the rainy weather.

Frank :)

#5 mdowns

mdowns

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:05 PM

Now, the promised doubles: STF 738 AB, D and E. I wasn't able to split STT 111, although on good nights I've split closer ones, it could be due to the difference in magnitudes 4.03.

CS

Bernardo

I did not split 111 as well Bernardo. I assumed it was because the highest mag I had with me was 25x

#6 dUbeni

dUbeni

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:07 AM

Thank you Frank and all who liked it, it's nice to be back observing, but I'm not out of the woods yet, there's more rain coming, maybe the weekend will be more clear, who knows confused1.gif lol.gif

Bernardo,

I just sketched this very target last week and posted on our club's FB page. Your 80mm is a perfect scope for most of the Cr clusters and you did a fine job here representing it. BTW,don't overlook nearby Dolidze 17,19 and 21 with your 80mm. I drew those as well with the 90mm at 16x. I thought I was the only one pursuing these lessor catalogs with a small scope.You made my afternoon sir!

I've looked on SkyMap Pro12 for those Dolidze clusters and they seem pretty faint, my Bortle 9 skies probably want do them justice.

Regarding the double star STT 111 what puzzled me was the note on the StelleDoppie page: Visually invisible confused1.gif confused1.gif confused1.gif

CS

Bernardo

#7 mdowns

mdowns

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:32 AM

Bernardo,

Bortle 9? Yikes! You might be able to eek out Do 17 with the 80 but the other two are as suggest,too faint.My location is at just a hair's width shy of bortle 5.I bow to your efforts!

#8 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:24 AM

Bernardo,

Very nice sketch of Collinder 69 (Lambda Orionis Cluster) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#9 dUbeni

dUbeni

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:42 AM

Bortle 9? Yikes! You might be able to eek out Do 17 with the 80 but the other two are as suggest,too faint.My location is at just a hair's width shy of bortle 5.I bow to your efforts!

Yep B9, living in the city center sucks, buildings all around my tiny courtyard, lit windows and street lights is my panorama, no need for head lamp lol.gif . Well, I feel lucky to have a courtyard where I can set up one telescope at a time. On rare occasions I do have good transparency which helps quite a bit, and if I stay after midnight most of the lit windows will go off. Hopefully in a couple of years we will move to darker sky.

Collinder and Melotte's catalogs have been my favorites in the past couple of years, they contain large clusters which favor my observing conditions. I use SkyMap Pro12 and Astroplanner to plan my sketching sessions. Sometimes I just scan the sky with the 8" f/4 reflector to find an interesting region and then I identify the object on SkyMap, I really like this method.

CS

Bernardo

• mdowns and flt158 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics