•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First time leaving my rig out in the rain under a Telegizmo cover

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ryanha

ryanha

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:30 PM

I have been using the telegizmo cover for a few months now.  Has been really great to leave my rig setup in my backyard for weeks at a time!

Until now anytime there was rain (or high winds) in the forecast, I would tear down and bring the gear inside rather than risk it being outside even under the cover.

I have been setup for the past week or so and there was rain in the forecast today, but tomorrow is clear and I was tired this morning so decided to leave it outside in the rain.

I am excited and nervous.  That is a lot of expensive gear under that cover!

To be fair, I am in So Cal, so rain is not really "rain". It is sort of like in Seattle when they say, "it is snowing, but it is not sticking to the ground" we have rain but it is such small amounts that it barely sticks to the ground smile.gif

Anyway, so far so good!  I guess the real test will be tomorrow when I take off the cover smile.gif

Wish me luck!

--Ryan

Attached Thumbnails

• telegizmo in the rain.jpg

• Rickycardo and Stellar1 like this

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:34 PM

Good luck, but I'm sure you will be okay. Do you have anything under the cover to absorb moisture/ dehumidify? (You may not need it in your climate)

• litesong likes this

#3 AtlantaAstro

AtlantaAstro

Mariner 2

• Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:40 PM

Good luck, but I'm sure you will be okay. Do you have anything under the cover to absorb moisture/ dehumidify? (You may not need it in your climate)

Wat can be used to put under the cover to absorb moisture?

#4 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:54 PM

Wat can be used to put under the cover to absorb moisture?

Go to your local Supermarket or Walmart,  and buy a couple of buckets (each is a tad bigger than a pint of ice cream) of "Damp-Rid", which is a desiccant.  Use an 'S' hook to hang it from thescope or mount BEFORE putting the cover on.  In your climate,  one bucket should last 6-8 weeks,  and you can buy refills.  The Buckets are usually around $4.99 or 2 for $8.

Done.

#5 AtlantaAstro

AtlantaAstro

Mariner 2

• Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:06 PM

Go to your local Supermarket or Walmart,  and buy a couple of buckets (each is a tad bigger than a pint of ice cream) of "Damp-Rid", which is a desiccant.  Use an 'S' hook to hang it from thescope or mount BEFORE putting the cover on.  In your climate,  one bucket should last 6-8 weeks,  and you can buy refills.  The Buckets are usually around $4.99 or 2 for $8.

Done.

This is great!! I’ll definitely look into this. It gets humid as heck down here in the summer

• Scott Mitchell likes this

#6 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:08 PM

Hi I share your concern and I most probably would feel the same to be honest,however I’m assuming you own the telegizmos 365 scope cover!? Thay are not cheap but well worth the money considering as you stated rather exspensive kit so it’s kind of in the name 365 days all year round basically.i can assure you thease covers are designed to really take a battering to the elements.however to put your mind at ease slightly you could always get a cheaper alternative to double up with another cover underneath the telegizmos cover.also maybe some tension strap would be advisable to stop any gusts of wind getting underneath the cover which would also help prevent dust,grime whisking underneath the cover it’s self.

also maybe you could puchase some foam insulation which usually has a pre-cut slot that is used to cover water pipes etc to cover the tripod legs!?.

• psandelle likes this

#7 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:08 PM

You are a brave soul, hope it goes well!

#8 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:22 PM

This is great!! I’ll definitely look into this. It gets humid as heck down here in the summer

Here's a photo of my NexStar-11 GPS, which spent EVERY second of 2 straight years on my Deck, in ridiculous New England Weather!  Lots of Snow, a few dozen days below 0F in Winter, several dozen days above 90F in Summer.  It only came in when I finally sold it last year because of age/health reasons.  Under the TG-365 Cover was a single bucket of Damp-Rid.  And, of course, the tube was pointed down, but at a slight angle, so on the off chance anything did condense and drip, it wouldn't go directly on the mirror.  Nothing ever did.

Attached Thumbnails

• 006.JPG

Edited by Bean614, 03 March 2021 - 08:51 PM.

• psandelle and archer1960 like this

#9 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Viking 1

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 03 March 2021 - 05:57 PM

You can also get off of Amazon some small rechargeable dehumidifiers. Not sure how long the charge lasts though

#10 gcardona

gcardona

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:23 PM

I leave my scope out for months at a time under a TG 365 cover, The only things I take inside after an imaging session are the cameras, everything else stays out under the cover.

#11 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:31 PM

OK, you showed me your's.

I'll show you mine. shocked.gif smirk.gif

And Ryan, Good Luck. Though, I don't think you'll need it. wink.gif

I use a doubled up Painters canvas tarp, around a water proof BBQ cover, with my classic 32 gallon dome.

It ain't fancy, but it sure works good....

Mount tripod covered Up

Mount tripod covered Up Closer

My dome is going on it's 6th year of Southern California sun and weather.
Yes, it is a 32 gallon plastic trash can.
That's just the tripod and first stage. The chunks are high and dry inside the house.

If you are worried about, or find that, condensation is forming under it, put a small appliance type light bulb in a drop light under your covers.
Gives off just enough heat to help keep it dry under there.

I leave the bottom wide open for good air exchange. As soon as the weather dries up, uncover so things can dry out if there is any damp under it.

My cover is like biscuits and gravy, compared to Telegizmos eggs benedict.  crazy.gif smirk.gif

Edited by SonnyE, 03 March 2021 - 06:35 PM.

• BRCoz, Wow! and Bobo666 like this

#12 Tony Bonanno

Tony Bonanno

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:36 PM

Here's a picture of my setup .... and the same setup with my telegizmo 365 cover on it.  The scope hasn't moved all winter from that one spot.  The cover has seen several snow storms (last one was about 12"), strong winds and rain, etc.  I only take the cover off when doing some EAA.  I haven't taken the cover off for the past couple of weeks, so just before writing this post, I removed the cover and took a look.  Hardly any dust at all.  Objective lens clean, everything looks great.  SOo, I wouldn't worry about your rig if you are using a telegizmo 365 cover.  No need to do anything else other than just the cover IMO.  If the forecast is for high winds and rain/snow, I will put the bungee cord on it as seen in the photo.  

All the best and clear skies...

Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• EAA.jpg
  • IMG_0867.jpg

• psandelle likes this

#13 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:38 PM

My rig has been outside under its TG 365 cover since 2017; still going strong. I added an 18W golden rod heater last fall to make it it a little more responsive in very cold weather, and it seems to have helped, but I've had no trouble with humidity.

• psandelle likes this

#14 ryanha

ryanha

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for all the responses!

I added a bungee to cinch up the cover just to make it less susceptible to light wind.

Any weather report of gusty winds, and the scope will come inside. 

Check out this video from a fellow CNer at 6 min in you can see his two beautiful scopes crash over due to wind catching the cover (one is a C14 I believe!)

https://vimeo.com/514543262

So yeah, any gusty weather,  I'll put it in.  I did see someone in this thread posted having tie straps to secure it to the deck.  That is a good idea.

Also if the weather calls for multiple days of rain, Ill bring it in so I don't think humidity is a factor (So Cal is dessert).

Anyway thanks for the responses I feel better about the decision now! 

--Ryan

• archer1960 likes this

#15 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:00 AM

You can also get off of Amazon some small rechargeable dehumidifiers. Not sure how long the charge lasts though

Yes, that is what I was going to suggest in my earlier post to the OP. They are pretty inexpensive.

#16 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:10 AM

I had a custom cover made locally out of Sunbrella Rain fabric.  Left a G11 mount outside for several years and never experienced a single issue with moisture.  

• SonnyE likes this

#17 Bigal1817

Bigal1817

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:04 PM

Love to see/read that!  I don't own the 365, rather, I own the basic one.  Still, it's a great product that allows me to leave my Dob setup while camping or my backyard for a few nights.

#18 SkyETC

SkyETC

Explorer 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:21 PM

I have the TG 365 cover but I only leave the G11 mount outside under the cover.  The Scope comes in, I don't think I could sleep if I left the 155 outside!!!!!  It's way too easy to bring the scope out and take it back in.  I've left the mount out for about a week at a time and it was nice to carry out the scope and already be polar aligned.  Sometimes I'll put the scope out there an hour or two before dark and align my finder scope and then put the TG cover on until it's time to observe.  I definitely observe more now that I have that cover. 

#19 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:53 PM

My mount/telescope lives outside protected by a Telegizmos 365. Just two considerations, get a cheap cover as a first layer, its purpose is to protect the inner layer of the Telegizmos from the sharp edges that our equipment usually has.

The other thing, I leave all the electronic equipment mounted, but I take care to disconnect some cables to avoid dragging them when putting on and taking off the cover and also that their own weight can damage them.

• archer1960 likes this

#20 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Gemini

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:17 PM

I used cheap moving blankets, underneather the telegizmo 365,  to protect the delicate silver lining.. Nothing to do with moisture, just a public service announcement.

• mich_al likes this

#21 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:20 PM

My mount/telescope lives outside protected by a Telegizmos 365. Just two considerations, get a cheap cover as a first layer, its purpose is to protect the inner layer of the Telegizmos from the sharp edges that our equipment usually has.

The other thing, I leave all the electronic equipment mounted, but I take care to disconnect some cables to avoid dragging them when putting on and taking off the cover and also that their own weight can damage them.

+1 on a protective first layer cover. The inside of my TG365 seems to be about 1/3 duct tape, as I've taped up the rips that have developed over 3 years of constant taking it off and putting it on.

#22 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:11 PM

Well, Ryan, what's the verdict?

High and dry? Or is there some condensation under the cover?

Inquiring minds wanna know... lol.gif confused1.gif

• BRCoz likes this

#23 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 05 March 2021 - 05:04 PM

Ya GOTTA monitor humidity under any cover not just hang some rando desiccant / dehumidifiers & hope they are doing something.  Here it takes a 100W bulb on constantly under a 365 cover to keep up when it's wet.  Image is just snow not 'wet' season.

P1010608_b

#24 ryanha

ryanha

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 March 2021 - 08:01 PM

Well, Ryan, what's the verdict?

High and dry? Or is there some condensation under the cover?

Inquiring minds wanna know... lol.gif confused1.gif

It was high and dry.  Though tbh I did not sleep well :)

We have clouds and possible rain in the forecast for the next few days so I brought it all in this evening.  

I have the wiring all very tidy and I have pads with marks for the tri pier so it really only takes about 10 min to set up so I think the verdict is that it is fine but Ill still err on the side of over cautious.  In So Cal we don't get much rain,  though I think in the summer I may not want to leave it under the cover in the heat 100F + either.

--Ryan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics