•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A couple of planetary nebulae with the AGO 12.5"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:09 PM

Since taking possession of a new to me AGO 12.5" iDK in late December I've had maybe 4 clear nights that all came around a bright moon and had terrible seeing conditions.  One of those nights was dedicated to tuning the scope and my camera.  Three of those moonlit nights I captured two nebula, large PN Jones Emberson 1 (the headphone nebula) and the relatively rare NGC2371 (the Gemini or peanut nebula).  

Both of these are bicolor Ha/OIII images.  I'm not particularly proud of either given the seeing conditions so these were basically a warm up for galaxy season which I'm really looking forward to this year.  However, NGC2371 definitely deserves a better look next year.  

JE1:

JE1_2.png

NGC2371:

NGC2371_1.png

• fetoma, Joe G, lynnelkriver and 13 others like this

#2 mabeard

mabeard

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:28 PM

Why do they call it a peanut nebula? Looks more like saltwater taffy to me.

#3 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:30 PM

Why do they call it a peanut nebula? Looks more like saltwater taffy to me.

My guess is that visually it looks two lobed like a peanut.  Images reveal more structure.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics