•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Syncscan doesn't recognise planets

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vilmos93

Vilmos93

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:30 PM

Hi!

I am a beginner user of a 250/1200 with a goto mount.
My problem is when I search for example a deep sky object, M42 or M31 it works perfectly! but when I search for planets, I searched Mars for example, The warning says: object is under the horizon. I tried with Uranus too. But these are over the horizon, I was so confused I even checked them on Stellarium.
I don't know why only planets can not be shown.

Thank you for the replies!

Edited by Vilmos93, 03 March 2021 - 04:44 PM.

#2 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:48 PM

Need to know where you are, as the position of something like a planet is dependant on your location.

I guess you are talking of a 250 goto dobsonian - again what is the mount+scope?

And what time were you trying to find Mars?

Mars could well have been below the horizon. And the scope has more sense then to aim at the ground.

There could also be a minimum Alt setting like 20 degrees. So in effect anything below 20 degrees is considered "below the horizon".

As it says they are under the horizon then Synscan is recognising planets, what it is saying is that they are unobservable or it thinks they are.

• maroubra_boy and sevenofnine like this

#3 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Vendor - Gondwana Telescopes

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:49 PM

Of the top of my head & not knowing where you are, the planets may be below the minimum set elevation for objects to be shown.  You will need to check this value in the handset, also check the elevation above the horizon that the planets (in this case Mars and Uranus) at the time you are using the scope and see if they are below this minimum threshold, assuming like sg6 suggested that the planets were above the horizon.  You can then decide if you will alter this minimum value to a lower one.

Alex.

Edited by maroubra_boy, 03 March 2021 - 04:51 PM.

#4 Synapsno

Synapsno

Vostok 1

• Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida

Posted 03 March 2021 - 05:12 PM

Make sure you are set to the proper year on your date settings confused1.gif

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:57 PM

I've owned two SynScan mounts and had trouble with the controllers' firmware finding planets.  

#6 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

• Loc: Under dark skies in central Virginia, USA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:29 AM

Never had a lick of trouble going straight to a planet with any of my SynScan mounts. Make sure that all of the entries in the handset for required settings are accurate! You are prompted to check them every time you power up, so have the information you need ready. Follow the directions without trying to take short cuts or skip steps, do it just like the instructions tell you to. The only time I ever received the message saying an object (any object) was below the horizon, was because the object was below the horizon wink.png

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics