•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

should flats be pure white?

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 belliott4488

belliott4488

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: MD, US

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:02 PM

I attempted my first-ever set of flats this morning, following the advice of Trevor from AstroBackyard and using the morning sky to light my double layer of tee-shirt stretched over my 8" Newt. I was surprised (although I'm not sure why, in hindsight) that my flats all came out pale blue. I guess the sensor was "seeing" the blue sky through the tee-shirt.

Is this okay? Disastrous? Does stacking software consider the color content of the flats or only the monochrome value?

#2 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:05 PM

You should look at the histogram and figure out if it is within the linear range (typically between 1/3 to 2/3 of the maximum well depth for a 16-bit camera). The "color" makes no difference, unless what you are seeing is complete saturation of all the pixels (in which case the histogram is way beyond the 2/3 well depth).

CS!

• DRK73 likes this

#3 belliott4488

belliott4488

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: MD, US

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:52 PM

You should look at the histogram and figure out if it is within the linear range (typically between 1/3 to 2/3 of the maximum well depth for a 16-bit camera). The "color" makes no difference, unless what you are seeing is complete saturation of all the pixels (in which case the histogram is way beyond the 2/3 well depth).

CS!

Yes, thanks - I did check the histogram when I was choosing my exposure time (shutter speed), and it was between 25% and 50%. I'd expected a sharp peak but instead got more of a bell shape on the left with a steep cutoff on the right. Not sure if that's optimal ...

#4 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:52 AM

Yes, thanks - I did check the histogram when I was choosing my exposure time (shutter speed), and it was between 25% and 50%. I'd expected a sharp peak but instead got more of a bell shape on the left with a steep cutoff on the right. Not sure if that's optimal ...

I would think that should be fine. Have you tried calibrating lights with the flats? Try and see what happens. If it over or under corrects, you will know you have a problem. 

CS!

#5 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:18 PM

I think the master flat is typically converted to monochrome before being used for correction, so as long as all the channels are well exposed I think you should be fine.

• belliott4488 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics