•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shipping a mirror

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Muleskinner115

Muleskinner115

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:39 PM

I have a Zhumell 12” mirror and mirror cell that came out of a damaged tub assembly. What is the best way to box it up for shipping?  I wouldn’t want someone to buy it and have the mirror damaged because it wasn’t properly protected. How would I protect the mirror surface. Right now it is pristine. 
Tim

#2 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, California

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:59 PM

How to wrap your mirror:

https://www.youtube....h?v=-wXMpLrOMog

How to Ship your mirror:

https://www.youtube....h?v=kzV_YG_fBJg

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 03 March 2021 - 09:02 PM.

#3 Steve Dodds

Steve Dodds

Viking 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:47 AM

Don't ship the mirror in the cell!  Box them separately.

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#4 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:57 AM

How to wrap your mirror:

https://www.youtube....h?v=-wXMpLrOMog

How to Ship your mirror:

https://www.youtube....h?v=kzV_YG_fBJg

I thought shippers, when they see fragile stickers, like to punt the boxes in the warehouses... lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Edited by Pinbout, 04 March 2021 - 05:46 PM.

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#5 Muleskinner115

Muleskinner115

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the great videos. I feel better about this. 
Tim

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#6 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

Optical Research Engineer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, South Western Coast

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:43 PM

This may help, wrap the mirror only (no cell) with tissue (brown, or acid free)

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• Foam package 03.jpg

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#7 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:43 PM

I thought shippers, when they see fragile stickers, like to punt the boxes in the warehouses... lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Yes, I tell people that some carriers see Fragile stickers as a *challenge*, and UPS Ground views wooden crates as something to drop test...... repeatedly from increasing heights.

Use a strong cardboard box, properly cut foam on all sides, and good strong tape to close it up.  Make sure the mirror fits snugly.  Print your own label online.

Clean the mirror before you cover it with acid-free paper or similar and tape it so it can't move, then cover with cardboard.

• Pinbout, Oregon-raybender and GalaxyPiper like this

#8 RLK1

RLK1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:17 PM

When I shipped my 16" mirror via UPS ground to alcoat for a recoat in 2018, I found that the double boxing method stipulated by UPS is the only way they will insure a mirror. The UPS store has to pack it and they have to place their own label on it. Otherwise, no dice. Now, it's possible their policy has changed since then but I do trust the particular UPS site I ship from as I've done a lot of business with them throughout the years. I've also saved the shipping boxes for future use, if needed. Just my experience with it...

#9 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

Optical Research Engineer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, South Western Coast

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:29 PM

We ran dead test of shippers over the years (boxes with weights, tracking and shaker tags. We found on average it was a 3-4 foot drop

with 10 Gs of force. Handled by 5-10 people.

In shipping containers, the rate was 26-28 Gs. They took great pride in getting the container in to the ship with max "BANG" on top of the ones already there.

I suggest a box with the mirror inside that floats in a another box is best, at least 2 inches of foam. We found this most "normal" handling mistakes. Now a fork lift drive into the box is a different problem. I take a image of the open box to show it matches UPS / FedX standards with insurance of twice the value. I never had an issue if there was a problem, only twice?, won both times.

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#10 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:17 PM

The posts above show different approaches - double box vs. single box, insurance or no insurance.

If you ship infrequently and you dont mind the extra expense of insurance and possibly allowing the shipping company to pack your item (they don't do it for free), and the extra size/volume of double boxing, and/or you have an irreplaceable item (for which double insurance is a good idea!), then by all means do.  However, they will not use solid foam as myself and others have described, so I would still recommend that strongly if you can do it.  Put your box with foam packing inside of their box if you have to.

Over time this added cost (of the extra packing materials, weight, and insurance) adds up to something significant, and shippers sell overpriced insurance to make money, plain and simple.

I find that the best bang for the buck is to box as I described above is to use good foam (the pink or blue foundation insulation stuff that is very strong, not the crumbly white crap that breaks down quickly) inside a strong box with lots of strong tape.  This may also be best for people who don't want to pay additional charges for shipping and for non-irreplaceable items.  Most mirrors today are replaceable.

In my experience, the most likely way to have a shipping "issue" is not through handling (if packed properly), it is for the mirror to be left without signature at the wrong house, or simply stolen by porch pirates.  So, requiring a signature for delivery is important when shipping to a residence.  For a business, it depends on their location, but it's rarely a bad thing.

Also, print additional address labels with your printer and tape a couple onto the box in addition to the shipping label.  This will help if the label is somehow damaged by scraping, water, etc.  Also cover the shipping label with tape to protect it.

• Oregon-raybender likes this

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:23 PM

The posts above show different approaches - double box vs. single box, insurance or no insurance.

If you ship infrequently and you dont mind the extra expense of insurance and possibly allowing the shipping company to pack your item (they don't do it for free), and the extra size/volume of double boxing, and/or you have an irreplaceable item (for which double insurance is a good idea!), then by all means do.  However, they will not use solid foam as myself and others have described, so I would still recommend that strongly if you can do it.  Put your box with foam packing inside of their box if you have to.

Over time this added cost (of the extra packing materials, weight, and insurance) adds up to something significant, and shippers sell overpriced insurance to make money, plain and simple.

I find that the best bang for the buck is to box as I described above is to use good foam (the pink or blue foundation insulation stuff that is very strong, not the crumbly white crap that breaks down quickly) inside a strong box with lots of strong tape.  This may also be best for people who don't want to pay additional charges for shipping and for non-irreplaceable items.  Most mirrors today are replaceable.

In my experience, the most likely way to have a shipping "issue" is not through handling (if packed properly), it is for the mirror to be left without signature at the wrong house, or simply stolen by porch pirates.  So, requiring a signature for delivery is important when shipping to a residence.  For a business, it depends on their location, but it's rarely a bad thing.

Also, print additional address labels with your printer and tape a couple onto the box in addition to the shipping label.  This will help if the label is somehow damaged by scraping, water, etc.  Also cover the shipping label with tape to protect it.

If i end up sending you my mirror just the shipping to you and back scares the devil out of me.  I would worry about it getting lost and or getting broken.  I would be sure to be home the day i expect it to be dropped off. 

#12 Steve Dodds

Steve Dodds

Viking 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:57 PM

If i end up sending you my mirror just the shipping to you and back scares the devil out of me.  I would worry about it getting lost and or getting broken.  I would be sure to be home the day i expect it to be dropped off. 

Getting lost is vary rare with UPS or FedEx (not so rare with the post office).  If it gets broken it's your fault for not packing it well enough.

• GalaxyPiper likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics