•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is my current mini-PC beefy enough for lunar imaging?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:02 PM

I have a mini-PC that I use next to my rig for scope/focus/camera control. It's running Windows 10 Pro and has an older dual-core i3-6100U processor with 8G of memory and about 15G of *free* disk space (it's a 64G SSD). This is more than sufficient for my DSO imaging, but I would like to try my hand at lunar/planetary imaging, mostly lunar is my guess. It does have USB3 ports on it. Does this sound like a good enough system to handle acquiring lunar images/videos? I would process the stack on a different PC.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by DaveB, 03 March 2021 - 09:07 PM.

#2 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:15 PM

I use a similar machine for my imaging, but I use way more disk space than that for each session.

You could pick up a USB3 SSD to fill during your lunar imaging sessions, which you could then just unplug and bring indoors for processing.

I typically record 30 to 90 GB of videos each night and then process them in the morning. I have hard-wired ethernet out to the scope, so I just copy the files over the network overnight. But the old "sneaker net" method might work better for you since you don't have much space on your mini PC.

In my experience recording video doesn't take a powerful machine. Mostly what you need is a fast USB3 connection to your camera and a fast disk (SSD not hard disk). For *processing* the videos a fast machine makes a huge difference though!

#3 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:34 AM

In my experience recording video doesn't take a powerful machine. Mostly what you need is a fast USB3 connection to your camera and a fast disk (SSD not hard disk). For *processing* the videos a fast machine makes a huge difference though!

This is correct.  For capture, the most important aspects are a USB3 connection, and a large SSD drive (which can be external).  Processing power requirements are minimal for capture, but can become intense for stacking and image processing.  

#4 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:08 PM

Thanks guys. My mini-PC has four USB3 ports and has an ethernet connection to it (it's in a ROR in my backyard). So, I'll just pick up an external USB3 SSD to go with it.

#5 astrohamp

astrohamp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:27 PM

You may be suppressing performance of you system with only 64Gb of system disk and especially that 16Gb of "free space" .   Upgrading to a 256 or 512Gb system disk (via disk image) may improve things for you.  The 64Gb disk could then be used to transfer files with suitable external HDD device cable/housing, or be used as a scratch disk in a desktop computer.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics