•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Issues connecting my new ASI 294mm Pro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:06 PM

So far I am only able to connect my 294mm Pro to SharpCap. The device is not being recognized on Nebulosity or SGP. I downloaded the latest ZWO driver. SharpCap identifies my 294 no problem.  wonder why it is different for the other two.

I tried on two separate computers and using two separate ESB3 cables. I would think that SharpCap connects immediately, that must at least be a good sign I guess.  I do not want to limit my use to SharpCap though!

Has anyone established unity gain?

I hope it is something simple I am overlooked!

Attached Thumbnails

• 294sc.jpg
  • 294 conn.jpg

Edited by Ballyhoo, 03 March 2021 - 09:07 PM.

#2 jdupton

jdupton

Gemini

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:16 PM

Ballyhoo,

SharpCap may well be using the native driver. Have you also installed the ASCOM Driver for the camera in addition to the regular one? Other programs may be looking for the camera using the ASCOM driver rather than the native driver. SGP especially does not support native drivers. To use SGP, it must find the ASCOM driver to connect. In SGP, it may not be called out by name. I likely says something like ASI ASCOM Camera or something similar. After selecting that option, bring up the settings to see which camera it is before connecting to it.

John

Edited by jdupton, 03 March 2021 - 09:19 PM.

• Ballyhoo and Dynan like this

#3 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:26 PM

Ballyhoo,

SharpCap may well be using the native driver. Have you also installed the ASCOM Driver for the camera in addition to the regular one? Other programs may be looking for the camera using the ASCOM driver rather than the native driver. SGP especially does not support native drivers. To use SGP, it must find the ASCOM driver to connect. In SGP, it may not be called out by name. I likely says something like ASI ASCOM Camera or something similar. After selecting that option, bring up the settings to see which camera it is before connecting to it.

John

could be, but my ASI1600mm and previous color version of my 294 connected no problem.  

#4 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:42 PM

that was an easy fix #2 I just sorta thought my ASI drivers for my 1600mm would work but looks like the 294mm pro is requiring the more recent drivers and most recent ascom platform.   How does SharpCap have the native divers?

#5 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:31 PM

So, did you fix/solve the problem so far?

#6 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:08 PM

yes to some extent however, not entirely to my satisfaction.  I have invested in a designated laptop which is a Microsift Surface, which has minimal power issues that  I am not able to use at this time, though I will work to resolve:

See below:

https://www.cloudyni...o#entry10935928

#7 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:40 PM

yes to some extent however, not entirely to my satisfaction.  I have invested in a designated laptop which is a Microsift Surface, which has minimal power issues that  I am not able to use at this time, though I will work to resolve:

See below:

https://www.cloudyni...o#entry10935928

Ok, fair enough!

Really so complicated things happening with this camera model from both known brands, I wanted to see more results from this nice camera so i can get inspired, but sounds i won't see more than what i already saw in Astrobin site, many having issues with this camera model so definitely they won't use it as usual or they will just giving it up and return it back.

#8 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:54 PM

Ok, fair enough!

Really so complicated things happening with this camera model from both known brands, I wanted to see more results from this nice camera so i can get inspired, but sounds i won't see more than what i already saw in Astrobin site, many having issues with this camera model so definitely they won't use it as usual or they will just giving it up and return it back.

the issue I am having is really more related to the latest ASCOM 6.5 I think. Because after I updated to that version I am also not able to connect to my moonlight focuser system. So it's something about ASCOM I think.....

#9 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:29 AM

the issue I am having is really more related to the latest ASCOM 6.5 I think. Because after I updated to that version I am also not able to connect to my moonlight focuser system. So it's something about ASCOM I think.....

Most likely it means when you upgrade the ASCOM which is a common astro platform then you need to upgrade or update the other drivers too, it might be kind of versions conflict i think, or you just re-install the drivers so the new version of ASCOM can detect it, at worst scenario, uninstall everything including ASCOM and re-install them all starting with ASCOM first, and then install those tools didn't work next as you then know that ASCOM was the cause so you download an older version of ASCOM.

I don't have problems with operating devices as i always check out everything as software, i have so many computers, so i always know where is the issue.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics