•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI294MC Pro vs ASI2600MC Pro?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mprowland

mprowland

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:09 PM

Long story short, I dumped my imaging rig and ruined my ASI294MC Pro.  I'm currently in the market to replace the camera.  I'm torn between the ASI294MC Pro (again) and the ASI2600MC Pro.  I'm stuck in a paraysis by analysis loop!  I'll primarily be using this camera with a Stellarvue Access 102 (without reducer), and on occasion...a Stellarvue 70.  I've considered the 533 but I'm not too fond of the small square sensor.  I know spec wise the 2600 is better.  One of the biggest benefits would be no amp glow.  I've never NOT had this process out so I'm not sure how much of a benefit this is.  My processing skills are marginal at best.  I want the 2600, but am having a hard time justifying the literal doubling in cost versus the 294.  I have no doubt someone with processing skills can make a 294 taken photo look better than a similar photo I've taken with a 2600.  Has anyone ever seen an actual comparison in photos taken between the two?  Is processing that much easier with the 2600?  I don't mind buying the good golf club if it'll improve my game.  However, I have in the past and it did absolutely nothing!  Thanks for any input...

Mark

#2 RFtinkerer

RFtinkerer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:00 PM

Bigger diagonal, higher resolution, better QE, higher dynamic range, no amp glow...this really neat statement "At a cooling temperature of 0 °, the dark current noise is only 0.0024e/s/pix. Which means 300s exposure can only cause 0.7e dark current noise, which is completely negligible!" https://astronomy-im...600mc-pro-color  Which means I never shoot darks.

Definitely worth 2x, IMO.

Edit:  The 2600 is quite a bit bigger than the 294, if that makes a difference to you.

Edited by RFtinkerer, 03 March 2021 - 10:02 PM.

• drd715 likes this

#3 mprowland

mprowland

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:08 PM

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I'm leaning more and more towards the 2600. The bigger size makes little difference to me. I'm slightly worried about the bigger file size, not a deal breaker though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics