•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Windows Alternative to ASIAIR Pro Polar Alignment?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kring

Kring

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:47 PM

Is there an alternative to the ASIAIR’s amazing fast, simple and accurate polar alignment? I’ve read Sharpcap Pro here on CN is recommended and used often, I viewed a few tutorials and the website and it appears similar, but I get the impression it requires direct sight of Polaris, which I don’t think the ASIAIR requires.  I don’t have visibility of Polaris from my home viewing spot and the ASIAIR still works great.

Anyone have experience with SharpCap Pro Polar aligning without Polaris, or another app recommendation?

#2 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Vendor - Rockchuck Summit Observatory

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:49 PM

TheSkyX lets you do up to 350+ star alignment if you want to go nuts :)   NINA has an alignment process without seeing polaris but i haven't used it since I use TSX+Paramount MX+

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:31 PM

You don't need a direct view of Polaris for the Sharpcap routine.  You do need to already be polar aligned within 5 degrees.  So if you can get a rough alignment that good just by aiming your mount manually, then you can use the SharpCap routine.

I've used AlignMaster which works pretty well and can be used on any part of the sky.  PHD also has a few different polar alignment tools.

-Dan

#4 petercoxphoto

petercoxphoto

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cork, Ireland

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:00 AM

+1 for Sharpcap. It uses the same method as the ASIAir for polar alignment so it should work for you. It's also just generally a very useful program to have in the toolbox.

Cheers,
Peter

#5 Lucas.Maguire

Lucas.Maguire

Vostok 1

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:12 AM

For $10 a year for Sharpcap pro im a +1 for Sharpcap also. Super fast, super easy. 

#6 Kring

Kring

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:29 AM

Thanks All!  I’m gonna pickup SharpCap Pro. I can get a really close polar rough alignment and a clear view just over Polaris so it sounds like I’ll be good to go.  Clear sky’s on the forecast for tonight so I should be able to o give it a first test.

thanks

• Juno18 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics