•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

inexpensive goto mount for inexpensive refractor

Beginner Mount
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SDAngler

SDAngler

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA - USA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:06 AM

I am a newbie.  I purchased a Celestron Astromaster 70 AZ refractor as my low-end grab and go scope, but the mount that came with it is wobbly.  I am looking for a more stable mount and am considering a goto mount if I can fine one that isn't too expensive.  I need help on finding the least expensive goto mount.  Suggestions?    

#2 echobeach

echobeach

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane,Australia

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:16 AM

I would suggest the AZGTi mount from Skywatcher

• SDAngler likes this

#3 Oyaji

Oyaji

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central Illinois, USA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:34 AM

I suggest you take a look at this post:   https://www.cloudyni...ial-goto-mount/

• SDAngler likes this

#4 luxo II

luxo II

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:00 AM

AZGTi or Skywatcher All-View (have to find the latter secondhand, it is no longer available new).

• SDAngler likes this

#5 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:42 AM

Suspect the only one around at sensible cost is the Az GTi. Will handle the 70, will handle an 80 and people claim 102's on it however that I suspect is at or even fractionally over the sensible maximum. Not only as it would be heavier but also longer.

I have a 102 f/6 and no way would I consider it on my Az GTi.

TS used to sell what were in effect Nexstar base units, you added your own OTA. However TS are a long way off and the cost was not a great deal less then the Nexstar itself.

iOptron cobes are now too costly. Cannot think of a Meade offering, or a Bresser one. So you choices are somewhat limited to 1.

• SDAngler likes this

#6 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:04 AM

ES iEXOS-100, is basically a tracker with both RA and DEC motors and GoTo, with a tripod.  This will allow platesolving, which is a HUGE benefit.

• SDAngler likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics