•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIair and AVX: What do you do?

Celestron Mount Polar Alignment
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LosMan

LosMan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:36 AM

All,

I've been fighting the communication between my ASIair pro and AVX mount for almost a year. What I'd really appreciate from someone is a step-by-step guide of what they actually do to get star aligned and polar aligned. This shouldn't be taking me an hour each time.

For example, do you power up your AVX and do the mount's 2-star alignment first using the hand controller? Or do you PA with the asiair first and then use the asiair to plate solve? I feel like I've tried every combination and it never works the same each time (I eventually get there, but after about an hour or so).

I know there are problems with the AVX and asiair communication during the PA process. Several have pointed out that they turn off their mounts and manually rotate 60 degrees. But when I power the mount back up, the RA and DEC have reset in the hand controller and it doesn't know where it's at. So do you do another two-star alignment at that point? Plate solving doesn't seem to help. 

Thanks

#2 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:45 PM

I expect the answer is to get the mount powered up first (no need for a star align), then the ASIair.

I don't have an ASIair, but I am using a Raspberry Pi and Astroberry, but I suspect the issue is the same.  If the Pi is booted and the Indi server is started before turning on the mount, the hand controller will be getting talked to by the Pi before it's been properly initialized.  It's little mind will be hopelessly confused, and turning on the mount won't get you to the initialization prompts.  At that point, I have to unplug the USB cable from the HC, power cycle the mount, and get through the initialization steps before reconnecting.  Then I have to restart Indi before getting on with things, since the disconnect has confused the Pi.

The best bet is to power up the mount and get past where you verify the time / date, location, etc. before starting the Pi.  I use Quick Align so I don't have to go through any sort of sky alignment - plate solving takes care of that later.  If the ASIair has a separate "start talking to the world" button, at least get the mount on and initialized before pushing the button.  When you can plate solve, there is zero need to do any sort of star alignment, just the mechanical PA of the mount itself.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Mount, Polar Alignment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics