•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Heavy scope covers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter
  • Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:53 AM

I purchased some 11 ounce pvc coated canvas to make a custom scope cover.  I see the TG365 covers are a bit heavier than that, maybe 12 ounce altogether.  Has anyone had any trouble with a cover being too heavy,  causing a problem with equipment underneath?

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:26 AM

I usually take my telescope off, and just cover the mount.  We often have windy conditions here, and the wind yesterday was gusting in the 40 mph range. 

• SkyETC likes this

#3 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:34 AM

It's going on a scope inside an observatory.   I wanted something that would last a while.  The lightweight regular TG cover I have is getting thin in spots.  I want something completely waterproof just in case.....

#4 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:45 AM

I use the Telegizmos 365 with my 12" Dob, when I plan on it sitting outside for a few days.  I find it easy to use, and does a very nice job of keeping things dry and cool (Texas heat, you know).  I've had mine for several years, and it has not worn in any way, and it is not heavy of the scope.

• Herr Mario likes this

#5 godelescher

godelescher

Mariner 2

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:41 PM

It's going on a scope inside an observatory.   I wanted something that would last a while.  The lightweight regular TG cover I have is getting thin in spots.  I want something completely waterproof just in case.....

Having worked on sailboats for 20 years, I feel like I have something to offer this thread.

Most damage to covers is done to the threads. Make sure your scope cover has UV resistant thread. If you're not sure if your cover has UV resistant thread, it doesn't.

If you're getting worn patches from repeated use, and you're concerned about the weight of the cover, my recommendation is to have doubled-up (or leather) patches sewn onto the areas where the cover comes in contact with the telescope, rather than a heavier fabric for the whole cover. The cover will be lighter and it will last longer because it's reinforced at points of stress.

A cover should be designed to fit the shape it's going to cover. Buying a general purpose cover will eventually fail because of uneven stresses on the fabric. The best cover will be made to fit your equipment. This ensures that the panels will be evenly stressed and allow for efficient water runoff.

Lastly, the fabric is key. Sunbrella or an equivalent fabric will last a lifetime if enclosed in an observatory. It is strong, UV resistant, and treated to repel moisture. If you're buying a generic cover that fits your telescope (even if it's "designed" for telescopes), you're more than likely just buying cloth, not protection.

To sum up: Some fabrics are designed to be exposed to the elements and protect what's beneath them - most fabrics are not. Pay more attention to the fabric and less on it's weight. Custom fitted covers pay for themselves over time. Reinforce contact points. Make sure the stitching is done with UV resistant thread.

If you want a scope cover custom made, I highly recommend contacting either a sailmaker or someone who makes biminis and spray dodgers in the marine industry. It will be expensive, but you'll never have to buy it again

Edited by godelescher, 04 March 2021 - 06:46 PM.

#6 ScottW

ScottW

Messenger

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:59 PM

John,

Weight is not a problem, size is, atleast in my experience with Telegizmo 365.  I have one for a 14" dob.  I used it to cover my 12" Lightbridge. I could have gotten the one made for the LB but I went bigger for ease of use. I don't know if that was the right decision but I did it anyway and it outlasted the scope.

Scott

#7 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:31 PM

We have purchased the sunbrella type 11 ounce 600 denier polyester fabric with PVC coating.  My wife is an expert seamstress with several kinds of machines.  When we got the fabric, I commented that it felt heavy compared to other fabrics.  It's almost, but not quite, as heavy per square yard as the TG 365. 

I won't need the inner thermal liner the 365 has, since it's an inside the observatory dome cover.  I will leave it open at the bottom, and hope it will better hold some of the heat that the 40w red bulb underneath gives off, to control humidity.  The dome does not leak, but I have seen drops of water formed on the underside up high.

#8 speedster

speedster

Astronomy Architecture and Engineering at McCathren Architects

• Vendors
  • Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:06 PM

I also cover scope in the dome but I never thought about weight.  I'm probably extreme:  I use a reflective mylar space blanket.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics