•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars - March 3rd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Quinnipiac Monster

Quinnipiac Monster

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:05 AM

I hit a (short) window of decent seeing eventually. Just average, but with splits seconds of good definition, and I was able to enjoy again the unfiltered view of the planet. Hellas looked quite interesting, the E part was the usual orange (lighter than in the drawin), than a white patch in the middle, and then the light blue haze that stretched all along the terminator.

At 700x contrasts were much diluted overall, but I could spot easily details that I missed entirely at 525x like the Anian/Morpheos Lacus complex (if the identification is correct). Even NPH appeared much better defined as a thin white strip along the northeastern limb. It was still brighter than anything in the S hemisphere, though this is not obvious from the drawing. David Gray spotted what could be the dark edge of the cap recently, but perhaps it's beyond the reach of my 10" newton, or the seeing was not good enough.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210303_2335_dalp_col.JPG

• Vlad, frank5817, Jef De Wit and 5 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:19 AM

Ivano,

Nice sketch of Mars - (On March 3rd) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#3 mdowns

mdowns

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:34 AM

Yours was a very relatable post Ivano. Above you said "At 700x contrasts were much diluted overall, but I could spot easily details that I missed entirely at 525x". I read that and smiled.Years ago I observed from a location not favorable for DSOs so I viewed the moon and planets every chance I could with a 12" sct. The reason I smiled was because I recall vividly cranking my mag up to 700x instead of my more common max of 400x,while viewing dark areas on the surface of ganymede.'Diluted contrast but with more details visible' is exactly what I experienced. The text of your post is as interesting as the drawing! Well done.

• flt158 likes this

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:50 AM

Ivano,

Very impressive Mars sketch.

Frank :)

#5 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Viking 1

• Loc: York, England

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:06 PM

Glad you finally got something other than poor seeing Ivano.

Nice colour detail across Hellas.
When you think about how small Mars is at the moment this is amazing really that you can see one arc sec of blue haze, one arc sec of white haze, and one arc sec of orange all inside Hellas.

The NPC/NPH is the same issue really. It's just so small now that we need perfect seeing or it's just a blur. Kind of frustrating, but fun at the same time.

Edited by chrisrnuttall, 04 March 2021 - 04:07 PM.

• Quinnipiac Monster likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics