•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY600PH the Photographic version VS QHY600L the Lite version

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:22 AM

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

The QHY600PH (Photographic Version) retails for $4599 industry grade sensor (Grade-K).

https://www.sony-sem...AQK-K_Flyer.pdf

The QHY600L (Lite Version)  retails for $3980 and contains a consumer grade sensor (Grade-C).

Quote from (below) - http://astrograph.ne...-Camera-36x24mm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Sensor SONY Full Frame BSI CMOS Sensor IMX455ALK-K (Industry Grade) This sensor is available in both -C (consumer grade) and -K (industry grade). General speaking the -K version has longer lifetime than the -C version. Currently ,both the monochrome QHY600 Photographic version and monochrome QHY600 Professional version use the -K version of the sensor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from (below) - https://www.baader-p...-manufacturers/

Another important difference between "consumer" and "industry" sensors is the so-called "package" - the housing in which the sensor is embedded. In the case of consumer sensors, this package is often made of plastic, while in the case of industrial sensors ceramic is often used as the base material, which is much more temperature stable and guarantees a high degree of flatness of the sensor array with deep cooling.

The Sony IMX 455 "industry grade" sensor is part of a so-called LGA package. LGA stands for "Land Grid Array" and the base material must be materials that minimize thermo-mechanical stresses as much as possible. This enables a wide temperature working range and the sensor can be used even under extreme environmental conditions.

The industry grade sensor is designed for longer life under normal use and can therefore withstand repeated cooling/heating cycles with less thermal stress, resulting in a longer life for a cooled camera. AND industrial sensors have a significantly lower number of pixel defects.

• dghent, psandelle, Peter in Reno and 2 others like this

#2 lucam

lucam

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:55 AM

I have been wondering what the differences between the versions of the sensor are. Thanks for posting those quotes.

Luca

• SeymoreStars likes this

#3 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:43 PM

I am ordering the QHY600PH. Buy once cry once.

#4 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:45 PM

I am ordering the QHY600PH. Buy once cry once.

Going to use both the ASI6200 and QHY600?

#5 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:50 PM

Going to use both the ASI6200 and QHY600?

No I ditched the ASI6200. I should remove it from my signature.

• rockstarbill likes this

#6 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:54 PM

No I ditched the ASI6200. I should remove it from my signature.

Curious why you ditched it. I did as well, but I am always interested in hearing other stories. Also, will be very interested in hearing about your experience after the camera swap.

#7 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:07 PM

Long story...

I bought the ASI2600mm. Then wanted the larger ASI6200mm. So I sold all my 36mm filter and FW and returned the ASI2600mm. In the meantime people began suggesting the QHY600M. So I started to research and found the information posted above and decided to get the QHY600PH mono. I never really owned the ASI6200mm, but I put it in my signature when I was deleting the ASI2600mm.

• John O'Grady and rockstarbill like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics