•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light frame

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Number_5

Number_5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:12 PM

Hi All, 

Below is my first exposure with the AT92, EQ6 and the Astro tech field flattener. This is just a single 35 second exposure of Sirius and surrounding area, so not much to look at. But I was hoping the more experienced, or good eyed individuals here could look at my stars and see if my spacing and tracking are good enough to find something else to image, or if I need to work on getting those two things better. 

Just FYI the shadow in the upper right corner is my neighbors tree branch. I was having issues with my focus and by the time I got it worked out I didn’t know what else to image, so I went with it. 

Let me know what you all think. 

q8RnBd0.jpg

#2 imtl

imtl

Gemini

• Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:19 PM

It is very difficult like this to see how your stars are. You do have some artifacts on the bright ones. It would be useful if you either post a calibrated light to analyze or better yet, do a crop on each corner and the middle of your frame and upload it here.

So it's going to be 5 pictures.

• Number_5 likes this

#3 Number_5

Number_5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:36 PM

Upper right with tree interference 

LbdcMwU.jpg

#4 Number_5

Number_5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:38 PM

Lower right

MfOMXlo.jpg

#5 Number_5

Number_5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:43 PM

Upper left

vGxP2OT.jpg

#6 Number_5

Number_5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:45 PM

Lower left

JJ22hOH.jpg

#7 Number_5

Number_5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:47 PM

Center

CtDG9Oa.jpg

#8 petercoxphoto

petercoxphoto

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cork, Ireland

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:48 PM

Looks to me like you might have a slight spacing problem, the stars in the corners are elongated a bit towards the middle, but it's slight enough. 

I think the bigger problem is your tracking looks off, you have star elongation in the center as well.

Were you guiding? How good is your polar alignment? Problems like this are a bit hard to diagnose with such a short exposure. Have you tried two or three minute exposures?

Cheers,
Peter

• Number_5 likes this

#9 Number_5

Number_5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:53 PM

Looks to me like you might have a slight spacing problem, the stars in the corners are elongated a bit towards the middle, but it's slight enough. 

I think the bigger problem is your tracking looks off, you have star elongation in the center as well.

Were you guiding? How good is your polar alignment? Problems like this are a bit hard to diagnose with such a short exposure. Have you tried two or three minute exposures?

Cheers,
Peter

Actually my first polar alignment I’ve ever done, and no guiding. I don’t have a camera or operating system yet. 

Out right now taking 60 second subs of M44 to see how that turns out. 

#10 Number_5

Number_5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:56 PM

Cheers,
Peter

Actually my first polar alignment I’ve ever done, and no guiding. I don’t have a camera or operating system yet. 

Out right now taking 60 second subs of M44 to see how that turns out. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics