•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Image - Antlia 3.5 Ha - Massive Halo

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tim0116

Tim0116

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Western NC mountains

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:18 PM

Mostly excited, sorta bummed.  I completed two gentle levels/curves stretches in PS and this huge halo area popped up around Alnitak.  (Why did I have to start with the Horsehead??)  Nevertheless, I need to understand if these filters are just going to be trouble before I go forward.  I think my exposure settings were fairly standard.  Integrated in APP.

On to the more general stuff, I certainly need more integration time to reduce noise.  But, pretty cool to finally have an image after several years waiting on the sidelines.  Getting a home with more open sky was the impetus... I never could envision myself hauling so much gear to other sites with any meaningful regularity.  

Good news: I really enjoy the process.  NINA/PHD2 are fantastic and make things... almost easy?  Easier than I envisioned.  

Imaging train was AT 115EDT, WO 6AIII 0.8x, EFW loaded with Antlia 3.5nm and LRGB filters.  Only Ha used here.

19 subs at 240s... gain 139, offset 25. Dithered. 15 dark frames.

Astrobin link to image:

https://astrob.in/p84o59/0/

So is that "all filter" on the wide halo?

Thanks,

Tim

• marsbase and JerryX like this

#2 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Apollo

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:20 PM

That's microlensing from the ASI1600MM.

• dswtan and premk19 like this

#3 imtl

imtl

Gemini

• Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:21 PM

I think you're missing something quite important in your image train....Camera? : )

In case you were using the 1600 then that's microlensing

#4 Tim0116

Tim0116

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:22 PM

That's microlensing from the ASI1600MM.

Look wider... big ole hazy circle.  You did teach me my lesson about the microlensing, haha.  I don't like that either and it's definitely there too.  But isn't the larger area something else filter related?

• jonnybravo0311 likes this

#5 Tim0116

Tim0116

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:23 PM

The circular area goes halfway into the Flame.  Yes, ASI 1600.... it's all in the signature.

#6 Tim0116

Tim0116

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:26 PM

I thought microlensing was just the snowflake area immediately around the star.  

#7 imtl

imtl

Gemini

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:26 PM

Oh now I see what you mean. That is a very faint halo and a very very bright star. You can easily take care of the halos in postprocessing. Nothing to be alarmed about.

• dswtan and Tim0116 like this

#8 Tim0116

Tim0116

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:28 PM

Oh now I see what you mean. That is a very faint halo and a very very bright star. You can easily take care of the halos in postprocessing. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Oh, good... thanks.  At least it's considered normal.  I just don't have any basis for comparison.

#9 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Apollo

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:56 PM

Look wider... big ole hazy circle.  You did teach me my lesson about the microlensing, haha.  I don't like that either and it's definitely there too.  But isn't the larger area something else filter related?

Ahh... yup... sorry about that. I did a quick look, saw the fun microlensing from the 1600 and stopped looking. Second time around... big halo. As Eyal wrote, nothing that can't be dealt with in post.

• Tim0116 likes this

#10 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Vanguard

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:08 PM

Now if only people could stop calling it microlensing frown.gif

For those 'fluent' in astronomy that is something quite different.

(Call me Cato, but I have to mention that at least now and then.....)

• sharkmelley and imtl like this

#11 Tim0116

Tim0116

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:14 PM

I think people call it "microlensing" just as a recognizable moniker for the reflection issue.  But we may all be clueless.  

#12 imtl

imtl

Gemini

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:03 PM

Now if only people could stop calling it microlensing frown.gif

For those 'fluent' in astronomy that is something quite different.

(Call me Cato, but I have to mention that at least now and then.....)

Actually it's the other way around. Microlens is a term from Optics which was then used in gravitational microlensing. I wouldn't mind having the asi1600 showing a gravitational lensing effect. That would make it quite a dense camera tongue2.gif

But anyways, sure I agree we should not call it microlensing when talking about the ASI1600. It's a diffraction effect.

#13 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Apollo

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:22 PM

If we're being picky, can we all agree to stop calling that starburst pattern on subs "amp glow"? :p

#14 imtl

imtl

Gemini

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:26 PM

If we're being picky, can we all agree to stop calling that starburst pattern on subs "amp glow"? tongue2.gif

I don't know about the rest but I call it the supernova pattern

• Der_Pit and jonnybravo0311 like this

#15 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Vanguard

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:55 AM

Actually it's the other way around. Microlens is a term from Optics which was then used in gravitational microlensing. I wouldn't mind having the asi1600 showing a gravitational lensing effect. That would make it quite a dense camera tongue2.gif

But also in optics it's about the distortion of light when looking through a lens. Basically any search hit on ML in context of sensor diffraction patterns comes from CN....  (and unless I'm way off, ML was used (short) for gravitational ML way before industry was able to produce micro lenses on a sensor grid wink.gif .

But anyways, sure I agree we should not call it microlensing when talking about the ASI1600. It's a diffraction effect.

Yep.

I'd vote for calling it 'MDP' (Microlens Diffraction Pattern) if people want a catchy name - and TLAs are hip, too grin.gif

(And I'm with you about the Supernova-Pattern, too).

And finally, an excuse to all those bored by that discussion, and for the (semi) OT subthread.  I'll shut up now....

• imtl likes this

#16 imtl

imtl

Gemini

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:08 AM

I'd vote for calling it 'MDP' (Microlens Diffraction Pattern) if people want a catchy name - and TLAs are hip, too grin.gif

(And I'm with you about the Supernova-Pattern, too).

And finally, an excuse to all those bored by that discussion, and for the (semi) OT subthread.  I'll shut up now....

So let say it is MDP in ZWO ASI following GML which preluded ML on CN & SGL. :p :p

**I think right now people are thinking.."gosh these two nerds are off topic again..." lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics