•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

house power supply to cg-4 motors ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Adam82

Adam82

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:24 PM

Is it possible or safe  to run a cg4 mount motors with house power using a 6 volt power supply(wall wart)  ?

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:44 PM

I do it almost exclusively with my CG-4 and a 6v power supply I bought off of A-zon.  been working for over a year no problems, during the day with my Lunt 80mm and night with my C6 or C8.

#3 psterngold

psterngold

Explorer 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:51 PM

I am not an expert, but my simplistic understanding of electricity is: as long as you are supplying DC to DC, the voltage is matched, and the power supply delivers at least the required amperage, it will be safe to use. Therefore, you need to know the CG4's required input voltage and amperage rating.

#4 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:08 PM

In addition to what Mike G. and psterngold have said, you also need to know what polarity your CG-4 mount's motors need.  Do not take the following as correct, double check for yourself before you connect anything to your mount, but I'll bet this is what you need:

6VDC, 2A, center pin positive

If you currently have a battery pack to power your motors, does it use four AA or C batteries?  Do you have a volt meter so you can measure the plug you connect to your mount to see if it's center pin positive or center pin negative?

Since those clock drive motors don't slew (move your mount at high speed for doing go-to), you likely need only a 0.5A power supply.  I just recommended 2A because it's hard to have too many amps available.  Your motors will only draw what they need.

• psterngold, zxx and Mike G. like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics