•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rosette Nebula (Caldwell 49)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RFtinkerer

RFtinkerer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:29 PM

Subject: Rosette Nebula (Caldwell 49) 

Date: 02/25/2021, 03/01/2021, 03/03/2021 
Telescope: Orion 6" f4 Newtonian Astrograph 
Camera: ASI2600MC, -15C, Gain 100, Offset 50  
Guiding:  Orion SSAG+Orion Mini 50 mm 
Filter: Optolong L-enhance, None 
Mount: Skywatcher EQ6r-pro 

Acquisition SW: N.I.N.A 

Processing SW: Pixinsight, Photoshop, Topaz DeNoise AI, Topaz Sharpen AI 

Subframes:  74x300s L-enhance under varying moon conditions.  Red channel was fine, green and blue channels had very noticeable gradient with somewhat circular edge, not good.  Maybe I should get an L-extreme or something.  Red channel -> Ha narrowband. 

63x180s unfiltered for RGB before the moon came up last night 
Bias: 50x  
Flats: 20x  
Darks: None  

Pixinsight steps:  WeightBatchPreprocessing both files same register image, Bayer drizzle 1x integration.  DynamicCrop, DynamicBackgroundExtraction each.  Extract red channel from L-enhance, redefine to Ha.  EZDecon, EZDenoise both.  HistrogramTransform both, CurvesTransform.  NBRGBCombination script for HaRGB image.  CurvesTransform, EZStarReduction and out. 
Photoshop steps: Exposure, contrast, color enhancement. 
TopazDeNoise -> one file 
TopazSharpen -> second file (Note: This is great for the nebular areas, but oversharpens the stars, so... 
Starnet++ mask generation 
In Photoshop, mask off stars from sharpened file.  Merge layers. 
More Photoshop tweaks, back to Pixinsight for DarkStructureEnhance because I found out I wanted a little more oomph there.

I really like how this turned out.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Rosette_web_small.jpg

Edited by RFtinkerer, 04 March 2021 - 03:31 PM.

• John Miele, mikewayne3, petert913 and 15 others like this

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:00 PM

Amazing image!

• RFtinkerer likes this

#3 rj144

rj144

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:04 PM

Looks great to me.

• RFtinkerer likes this

#4 petert913

petert913

Aurora

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:47 PM

All that detail and color from only 6" of glass.  Amazing.

• RFtinkerer likes this

#5 joeytroy

joeytroy

Messenger

• Loc: Belen, NM, USA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:17 PM

Jeff,

Looks solid I really love the cross stars waytogo.gif I also think you could pull out more detail in the Nebula with some HDR in PI and also bring out more of the beautiful dust clouds with some more histogram stretching for the background. Check out my post and process steps I do with PI which also includes my full icon set. I have the L-eXtreme filter to give you an idea of the difference from the L-enhance. I dig the filter but it does cause halo's on those brighter stars and that is a whole other process in PI lol.gif

https://joeytroy.com...rosette-nebula/

• RFtinkerer likes this

#6 RFtinkerer

RFtinkerer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:41 PM

Jeff,

Looks solid I really love the cross stars waytogo.gif I also think you could pull out more detail in the Nebula with some HDR in PI and also bring out more of the beautiful dust clouds with some more histogram stretching for the background. Check out my post and process steps I do with PI which also includes my full icon set. I have the L-eXtreme filter to give you an idea of the difference from the L-enhance. I dig the filter but it does cause halo's on those brighter stars and that is a whole other process in PI lol.gif

https://joeytroy.com...rosette-nebula/

Hmmm, not too sure.  I was able to pick up some of the background with a little better stretching on the Ha, and merged it a little better.  I also heard the image was screaming at people, so I toned it down a little and added some local contrast.  Any improvement?

Attached Thumbnails

• Rosette_v2.jpg

• imtl, joeytroy, jonnybravo0311 and 1 other like this

#7 ntph

ntph

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sudbury, ON

Posted 05 March 2021 - 05:34 PM

Seems much more subtle in the latest version, which I like. It is easy to get a bit overenthusiastic with the saturation, along with all the other tools, I find. The real question is: which do you prefer?. Both are good images. Gotta love those EZ scripts!

I imagine you will try an HOO version in spite of your comments about the blue and green channel gradients. Lots of good examples out there for comparison. Good luck if you give it a try.

Edited by ntph, 05 March 2021 - 05:39 PM.

• RFtinkerer likes this

#8 RFtinkerer

RFtinkerer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:47 PM

Okay FINAL VERSION. (Well, for right now.  Maybe)

I took more data the last couple nights for RGB and rebalanced everything.  I think I like it more, and as predicted, I added OIII narrowband after fixing moon gradients better in the green/blue channels.  Revised details:

Subject: Rosette Nebula (Caldwell 49) 
Date: 02/25/2021, 03/01/2021, 03/03/2021, 03/06/2021, 03/07/2021 
Telescope: Orion 6" f4 Newtonian Astrograph 
Camera: ASI2600MC, -15C, Gain 100, Offset 50  
Guiding:  Orion SSAG+Orion Mini 50 mm 
Filter: Optolong L-enhance, None 
Mount: Skywatcher EQ6r-pro 
Acquisition SW: N.I.N.A 
Processing SW: Pixinsight, Photoshop, Topaz DeNoise AI, Topaz Sharpen AI 

Subframes:  74x300s (5.3 hrs) L-enhance under varying moon conditions.  Red channel -> Ha, 0.7*Green + 0.3Blue -> OIII 
203x180s (8.7 hrs) unfiltered   
Bias: 50x  
Flats: 20x  
Darks: None  

Pixinsight steps:  WeightBatchPreprocessing both files same register image, Bayer drizzle 1x integration.  DynamicCrop, DynamicBackgroundExtraction each.  Extract red channel from L-enhance, redefine to Ha; 0.7*Green + 0.3 Blue ->  OIII (green was bigger SNR due to 2x pixel sites.)  EZDecon, EZDenoise all.  HistrogramTransform both, CurvesTransform.  NBRGBCombination script for HaOIIRGB image.  CurvesTransform, EZStarReduction and out. 
Photoshop steps: Exposure, contrast, color enhancement. 
TopazDeNoise -> one file 
TopazSharpen -> second file (Note: This is great for the nebular areas, but oversharpens the stars, so... 
Starnet++ mask generation 
In Photoshop, mask off stars from sharpened file.  Merge layers.

Attached Thumbnails

• Rosette_03082021_web_small.jpg

• sbharrat likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics