•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount recommendation for Sky-Watcher 300P 12" Newtonian

Equipment Mount Observing Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 StilettosNSpace

StilettosNSpace

Lift Off

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:54 PM

Hi -

I am looking for mount recommendations for this telescope. I need Goto with an object library, but am not interested in astro imaging.

What do you recommend?

Thanks, 

Sandy

#2 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:04 PM

Hi -

I am looking for mount recommendations for this telescope. I need Goto with an object library, but am not interested in astro imaging.

What do you recommend?

Thanks, 

Sandy

Hi sandy have you got a budget in mind!? As obviously I don,t want to list mounts that would cost $1000,s 

#3 colinrm

colinrm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Akron, Ohio

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:06 PM

Probably a Celestron CGX-L or SkyWatcher EQ8-R Pro.

#4 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:12 PM

Push-to Dobsonian. There's a reason they dominate the market at that aperture Newt.

#5 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:23 PM

Um!!?? That could go down like a lead balloon,don,t think we should maybe wait to see what the kind ladies requirements are first before we suggest puchasing a different scope altogether and a observatory standard type mount!?

just saying.

#6 jrschmidt2

jrschmidt2

Explorer 1

• Loc: Fitchburg, WI

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:28 PM

They make Dobs with GOTO and tracking.  Not sure how well they work, but I would imagine that it is probably the only way to support a scope of that size / weight without putting 2k+ into a mount, even for visual.  Am I wrong?

Edited by jrschmidt2, 04 March 2021 - 04:28 PM.

#7 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:36 PM

They make Dobs with GOTO and tracking.  Not sure how well they work, but I would imagine that it is probably the only way to support a scope of that size / weight without putting 2k+ into a mount, even for visual.  Am I wrong?

Well admittedly not a light scope at around 24,25kg mark However if the scope is only being used for visual purposes I think the skywatcher NEQ6 mount would suffice on the lower end of the budget as thay do actually offer the same OTA as a package.

#8 psterngold

psterngold

Explorer 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:48 PM

Part of the challenge will be eyepiece height. That's why the vintage Newt equatorial mounts were "pedestal style" - see attached image.

I recently acquired a Parks 8" f/6 Newt and was lucky to find a local pedestal style mount. However, these older designs are susceptible to shakiness. It dampens quickly but this makes it challenging to focus at higher magnifications.

I am planning to convert it to a Dob in order to improve stability as well as the smoothness of the motions, making it easier to center and manually track objects.

Also note that the eyepiece position and orientation will swing about quite a lot on a GEM.

Whatever mount you get, consider that you might need to replace a tripod with a pedestal in order to put the eyepiece at reasonable heights.

Or be prepared to perch precariously on a ladder, LOL.

Clear skies,

Paul

Attached Thumbnails

• Parks pedestal mount.jpg

• Mike G. and texastrain11 like this

#9 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:07 PM

Part of the challenge will be eyepiece height. That's why the vintage Newt equatorial mounts were "pedestal style" - see attached image.

I recently acquired a Parks 8" f/6 Newt and was lucky to find a local pedestal style mount. However, these older designs are susceptible to shakiness. It dampens quickly but this makes it challenging to focus at higher magnifications.

I am planning to convert it to a Dob in order to improve stability as well as the smoothness of the motions, making it easier to center and manually track objects.

Also note that the eyepiece position and orientation will swing about quite a lot on a GEM.

Whatever mount you get, consider that you might need to replace a tripod with a pedestal in order to put the eyepiece at reasonable heights.

Or be prepared to perch precariously on a ladder, LOL.

Clear skies,

Paul

Well as an alternative if the lady puchases a mount she could sell the tripod separately and if she is able to have a short pier made when there is a will there is a way 

#10 texastrain11

texastrain11

Lift Off

• Loc: Tuttle, Oklahoma

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:32 PM

Paul,

The parks mount you show image of is same I have made by Meade.  I purchased it with a Meade 10in  f4.5 Newt. in 1986.  After a 37 year hiatus, I have refurbished the OTA and mount, as they were stored in attics and barns for decades, suseptible to all there is.  The ladder/observing chair is required nearing the Zenith, and being able to rotate the OTA in the ring mounts is necessary.  Good for visual observing, as Polar alignment and the Meridian flip all play into this, as with any GEM.  Yes, they can be found with some searching, and are reasonable.  Especially compared to the GoTo mounts.  Imaging is possible, with patience.  I use mine for Prime Focus Imaging with my Canon Rebel T6i.  Results are satisfactory, and improving, as seen in my profile gallery.

Jesse

#11 texastrain11

texastrain11

Lift Off

• Loc: Tuttle, Oklahoma

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:34 PM

I have gone on line and researched the Parks Optical mounts and OTAs, oculars, etc.  When I purchased the 10in f4.5 in 1986, I also purchased oculars made by Parks.  But, I understand Parks is no longer in business, which is a shame.  Comparing the prices on same OTA and GEM I acquired inthe 80s, I have a really nice scope and mount for what I paid back when.  I am certain the OTA and GEM are of Parks manufacture, or design, in the least.  Perhaps the Parks Optical inventory may have been acquired by Meade as Parks was slowly going outof business, from what I have read.  yes, it is old school, but still works with some TLC put into it, and a primary refigured and coated by Carl Zambuto.

Will be putting to use a Baader Coma Corrector soon, once I have recieved it from OPT.  Looking forward to the improvement in my 2in focuser prime focus imaging.

Jesse

Edited by texastrain11, 08 April 2021 - 04:35 PM.

#12 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:44 PM

I can tell you what works, but what I would not recommend: I am currently using a TS Photon 12" f/5 Newtonian (like the GSO ones) mounted on an older Losmandy G11 with the (non-foldable) tripod. The mounting is sturdy. The views are good, even from my light pollution. But the ergonomics are abysmal: I am 5'11" and need a ladder to safely reach the eyepiece. Rotating the tube in the rings gets old fast, too. Unfortunatly the best position to set up in the backyard is a patch of grass - not a good support for the ladder. Also, it is quite the haul, I have to move 5 times: 15 kg tripod (1), 15 kg mount (2), 2 x 10kg counterweights (3), dovetail with rings and 5 kg counterweight (4), scope (5).

If you can put it on a permanent pier and have a hard surface and a rolling ladder, it will be much more comfortable, of course. But for the price of an EQ mount such as the Losmandy you can get a 16" GOTO Dobson and put it into a permanent place.

Because I really liked my sample of Newtonian, I tried to research for alternative goto mountings besides an equatorial and the only solutions I found was to DIY: Build or get a rockerbox and then attach a drive system. Since I am not a DIY person, I have ordered a 12" f/5 goto Dobsonian which I will move with a trolley.

Edited by Rasfahan, 09 April 2021 - 02:44 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Mount, Observing, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics