•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AVX BUTTONS-WHICH WAY US UP?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:11 PM

I’ve just assembled my first equatorial mount, a Celestron AVX-yeah, I know, but it was available. The hand control buttons on my Evolution alt az mount are intuitive-up is up, and left is left. Now, it’s ok to laugh-with the avx, left seems right and up seems down.  Is that right, or is something reversed?  Thankslol.gif

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:18 PM

The are North South and East West. And, they can flip when you put the flip the scope from the east side of the mount to the west side.

#3 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:20 PM

Sure, Jim, but humor me-what am I seeing?  I believe the setting is positive. 

#4 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:01 PM

The direction will change through the eyepiece depending on the scope design---- even number of mirrors one way, odd number the other. For example, a Newtonian Reflecto has 2, the Primary and Secondary.  A Refractor will usually have one, the Mirror in the Diagonal. 

#5 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:11 PM

Thanks, but my concern is whether the apparent motion of the mount shows the buttons are reversed. Oh, well....

#6 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:37 PM

The "apparent" motion of the mount, if you don't change anything in the Menu/Settings, WILL depend on the scope design!!!  With one design, the mount will appear to move Left when pressing the Left button;  with a different design, it will appear to move Right when pressing the Left button!  Now, since I have NO idea which way you have the Directional Buttons set, in the settings menu, I can't be more specific than that!

Sorry for trying to help you.

#7 Mitchell M.

Mitchell M.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mountains of Western NC

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:15 PM

I believe it's mentioned in the owner's manual that the scope will slew as viewed through the eyepiece. While viewing through the eyepiece, if you want the view to move "up", you press the Up button, etc. I could be wrong tho.

#8 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:21 PM

The concept of "up" or "down" in the eyepiece on an equatorial mount is meaningless.

It's not just telescope design.  On an equatorial mount, most of us will rotate the diagonal so that the eyepiece is pointed up.  Rotating the eyepiece rotates the field of view inside the eyepiece.  There really isn't any expectation that the up/down/left/right buttons on the hand controller will match orthogonal directions in the eyepiece.

You are best to think of them as N/S/E/W buttons.  And it's helpful to know that the up/down buttons correspond to declination and the left/right buttons correspond to right ascension.

And if you really want to blow your mind, if you are pointed very near the pole, using the RA buttons (left/right) will actually move the field in a circle - albeit very slowly - in the eyepiece.

#9 michael8554

michael8554

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:10 AM

As others have said, the movement when you press the UP button will vary depending on whether you are looking at a camera output; the finderscope; an eyepiece; an eyepiece in a diagonal; etc etc.

Purely for my convenience, I have set the handbox so that when looking at an Alignment Star in the finderscope, pressing the UP button moves the star up, pressing the LEFT button moves the star left.

Which leaves me guessing when I look at camera output etc, but the finderscope for me is the priority.

#10 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:24 AM

Thanks, folks-I’ve left the default values. My concern was that when I’m finally able to get out and use my starsense camera it goes as it should. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics